Headphone TV Advice Please...

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by ianjh, May 8, 2014.

1. ianjh

ianjh New Member

Hello,

I’m currently looking to purchase a set of headphones for TV use.
    I am 68 yrs and suffer from partial hearing loss of high frequencies and subsequently use a basic NHS hearing Aid.

I’m currently using a set of Bose QC15’s (without the hearing Aid), used mainly in the past for travel purposes.I find that these are a considerable improvement and allow me to hear TV ambient, voice and music sounds along with improved dialogue. I do however find that the sound although immensely clearer than listening via our Mordaunt Short Floor Standing Speakers it still lacks something. Also the NC abilities of the Bose’s ‘cuts me off’ from other sounds in the home!

I am currently considering…

Sennheiser RS180 or RS170
    Sennheiser RS220
    Sennheiser HD598

I am attracted to the wireless models and although both are ‘open’ I am concerned about the amount of sound leakage. They will be used a the lounge for TV, my partner sits about 2metres adjacent to me (also watching TV). I have experimented with the Bose’s by using at half volume and pointing the ear cups outwards and he says he cannot hear them when the TV is playing the MS’s at his normal volume so I’m assuming that the sound leakage will be less from the above.

I currently have a 7 metre Optical out from the TV to a small DAC and then to the Bose’s, so WiFi range is not a problem and can plus the 180s or 220s into this unit which sits alongside me!

I have included the 598s because I like the look of them and the good reviews but am uncertain if they would be suitable for TV viewing / listening.

Any thoughts would be most welcome, maybe a trip from here in rural Norfolk to your Lancing Showroom is called for?

Thanks for reading thus far, apologies for the pre-amble!

Thanks,
    Ian

2. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

I would probably go for the RS170. It is closed back so will provide the most sound isolation.

The RS180 will sound more natural and wider but sound will leak.

The RS220 has the best sound but will also leak and if you already have a DAC then you won't be using all of their functions - unless you stop using your DAC and just use the RS220, that way you have less pieces of equipment.

3. ianjh

ianjh New Member

The RS180 will sound more natural and wider but sound will leak.

Yes I understand that they will leak, but as we are both viewing /listening to the same TV I wonder whether the leakage is greater than my Bose QC15 experiment. I like the idea of a wider sound stage.

Also would you consider the HD598s to be suitable for TV use, I appreciate they will also suffer from leakage.

Thanks

Ian

4. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

The 598s will be great :)