Headphones for alternative rock

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Chris7197, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Chris7197

Chris7197 New Member

I know this sort of question has been asked to the death so sorry in advance!

I work as a software developer in an office, and I frequently like to listen to some music on my cheap Apple in-earphones - which is alright, but I'm looking to improve my experience and get a decent pair of 'over ear' headphones. Here are some key characteristics:

1: £150 or under
    2: Suited for alternative rock music types - Radiohead, Coldplay, Muse, Explosions in the Sky etc. So outstanding bass isn't as crucial as the mid/highend sound.
    3: Good at blocking out noise, and also good at keeping noise in so the whole office don't hear my music
    4: 3.5mm jack - will be listening on my iPhone 4. Not the best music player choice, I know!

I'm looking forward to hearing some recommendations :) thanks

2. KornelHiFi

KornelHiFi Administrator

Hi Chris,

Having read your requirements, I think it comes down between the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and the Ultrasone HFI-580.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable

£134.95
    This is an excellent, well thought out can with an admirable sound quality. It is comfortable and may very well be small enough to wear in public in case. This and the fact that they fold up may turn out to be really useful if you'd happen to think about using them on the fly. Really nice low end whilst remaining clean and clear at the top.

Ultrasone HFI-580 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 580)

£119.95

This Ultrasone model, although not being as bassy, is brighter than the M50's, just a bit more detail at the top and warmer mids. It is also a bit less fatiguing. It is a little bigger but really comfortable and due to its S-Logic technology it sounds a bit like the open backs, just a tiny a bit wider - as opposed to other closed backs that tend to have a more pulled-in soundstage.

Both models have low impedance so they should be fine with your iPhone. They also isolate really well, so you won't bother the ones around you in the office.

3. Chris7197

Chris7197 New Member

Many thanks for the excellent suggestions - I think the Ultrasone 580's are for me :)