Headphones for Ambient Electronic Music

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by albroun, Oct 14, 2011.

1. albroun

albroun New Member

I am looking for (over-ear, not in-ear) headphones (less than £200). I listen to electronic ambient music and therefore need:

1. A big open spacious sound
    2. The ability to handle ultra-deep bass with depth, precision and clarity and without boominess.

At present I have Sennheiser HD555 which give a nice natural sound, reasonably open and spacious but certainly could be a lot better, and dont handle the ultra deep bass. Also, Sennheiser HD380 Pro which handle ultra-deep bass quite well (and have very sharp treble), but have a poor mid-range and sound rather nasal and compressed.

Any advice appreciated.

2. M Vortex

M Vortex New Member

I'm no expert but have been frequenting these forums so hope to help.

To me it seems you want a rich and open sounding soundstage in closed back headphones.

So I'll quote from what I've read:

Ultrasone HFI-580 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 580)
    £119.95

"Closed backs - As a rule, Ultrasone headphones have a very 3D sound with great soundstage, they sound quite open." -RobinHiFi

Or for more public use;

"Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £134.95

The M50 are very accurate and sturdy and probably suit wanting to use them anywhere a bit more than the excellent HFI 780." -RobinHiFi

For a very accurate bass, and overall studio quality:

"This headphone fulfils all the criteria and it is also one of the toughest we sell. It has a really wide frequency response with an accurate studio feel and is also much smaller and lighter than a Beyer DT770 (standard issue at the BBC, radio stations and in the film industry. it performs better than a HD25, it is lower impedance than a K701 (which needs a serious amp to get it going). It is closed back so better for travelling than a SR60i (which leak a lot of noise and are really not that detailed and are less bass heavy and a bit less cluttered than the SRH840.

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Headphones
    £159.00"-RobinHifi

Links to where I've copied these from:
    http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/for...t-open-back-closed-back-headphones-120-a.html
    http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/forum/ask-experts/1096-so-much-choice-i-need-help.html

~M Vortex

3. albroun

albroun New Member

many thanks for the advice. I will look into your suggestions.

Infact open or closed back is fine - main thing is that they are not in-ear.

Closed back do tend to produce better bass, but often at the expense of openness so will be interesting to follow up your ideas. Many thanks.

4. albroun

albroun New Member

I followed up the issue on the thread quoted below and I was recommended to go for the BeyerDynamic DT880 PRO by RobinHiFi.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/for...t-open-back-closed-back-headphones-120-a.html

I was interested to compare these with the DT990 PRO as I had been recommended elsewhere. Although I have not had a chance to compare personally it seems that the 880s have a more accurate and detailed sound and a flatter frequency response than the 990s which have a more accentuated bass and treble and a more vigorous punchy sound. The soundstage of both models appears to be similar. I am still investigating as I have a few other headphones on my shortlist. However I thought I would mention this about the Beyers as it might be of interest to others.