Headphones for around £100 - £150?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by jamesg094, Jun 30, 2011.

1. jamesg094

jamesg094 New Member

Hi, after spending hours and hours looking at the different headphones I still cannot decide which ones to go for. I am looking for full sized headphones, either open or closed, that would be used for mainly for listening to music on my computer. The music i listen to is mainly hip hop, rap, drum and bass, and dubstep. I am willing to spend up to £150 and I want the sound to be good.

I am currently looking at the ath m50 and dt770 pro 80 ohm but I think these are more studio headphones? Anyway, could you recommend me any headphones?

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi James

Sounds like you have been doing your research :)

To this list I would the Shure SRH 840 Very similar in style and sonic concept to the M50. There are some extras though and I also feel they are a little bit weightier at the bottom with a bit more punch. They add a replaceable cable, a stronger headband and slightly bigger comfier ear cups. I know they are a little more but there are these differences to help separate the two.

I love the DT770 but I suppose there are one or two disadvantages - Higher nominal impedance means most MP3 players will need an amp to get decent volume level, they don't fold and are quite large. Don't let that stop you though as they are fantastic sounding and iconic as headphones - have a look at bands playing the Radio 1 live lounge and most will be wearing these.

3. jamesg094

jamesg094 New Member

Finally someone who knows what they are talking about! :D Thanks a lot for the advice, I think I'm going with the SHURE SRH840, I love the look of these as well compared some of the other ones out there.

Thanks, James

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Headphones for around £100 - £150

Another headphone around the £100 to £150 mark that won't win any fashion contests, but sounds superb is the German Maestro GMP 8.35D. The utilitarian design is not everyone's cup of tea, but I kinda like it!

We just started stocking the German Maestro range. The whole range is very impressive, all supplied with a 3 year warranty. Not the prettiest headphones on the block, but all the engineering effort has gone into the physical design and sound.

See a couple of reviews at Best Full Size Headphones buyers guide.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2011