Headphones for around £100

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by henders, Sep 5, 2008.

1. henders

henders New Member

I'm looking for a pair of full size headphones for listening to music and a bit of watching TV.

My local HiFi store have said Sennheisers are the best (but then that's all they stock!). I remember being very impressed by my brother's Beyers (round speakers with grey velour pads) and a pair of Grado SR80s at a dealer.

So what is the general consensus?

I'm after something fairly neutral, good all rounder - I listen to soft/heavy/classic rock, classical, bit of dance.

At the moment I'm thinking Grado SR80s or Sennheiser HD595's.

2. ShaunG

ShaunG Guest

Headphones for £100

The Grado SR80 is a superb full size open back headphone. I'm not sure they could really be described as neutral. I would describe them more as an 'energetic' headphone! :)

I have to say I'm a big fan of Grado headphones. I either listen with an iGrado, a Sleek Audio SA6 or a UE Super.fi 5 Pro on my walk to/from work and the Grado's get chosen 80% of the time. To be honest I love the way the entire Grado range sounds, right up to the beautiful sounding Grado GS1000. While Grado's are not to everyone's liking I feel that they do an excellent job of bringing music alive and make listening really enjoyable.

The Sennheiser HD595 is much more neutral and is a popular choice. You also get the good Sennheiser build quality.

If you are really looking for a neutral HiFi headphone then the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 is an excellent choice. They offer a very clean delivery with an excellent level of clarity in the mids/highs. The AD700 is very good value for money, is very well engineered and sounds better than many much more expensive HiFi headphones.