Headphones for around £50

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by teb, Mar 1, 2011.

1. teb

teb New Member

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on whether they know any suitable headphones that fit these categories (It may be that this isn't possible considering the price). I am currently looking at 'Sennheiser HD 448 High Quality Closed Back Circumaural Headphones' but seem to find when I find a pair of headphones that I like that I get told by reviews the exact reason not to buy them....

The headphones ideally should be:
    -in the £40-£60 range (this is important to me)
    -Closed back
    -noise cancelling...to some extent anyway
    -not too quiet, this seems to be a problem with sennheisers?
    -enough bass to enjoy most hip hop and dubstep, although I claim to be no audio expert so can probably be quite basic.
    -comfy enough to wear for a while.
    -not too ugly.
    -good for use with an iPod or laptop...
    -not on ear but over ear.

thanks, any help would be much appreciated.

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

The Shure SRH-240 would be an obvious choice. Well balanced sound for the money.

3. teb

teb New Member

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Sennheiser HD448 v Shure SRH240

I have to say I'm not a big fan of any in the Sennheiser HD400 series. The finish is really cheap plastic and sound is not that well balanced in my opinion.

If you want a Sennheiser the HD202-II is much better headphone for a lot less money.

5. teb

teb New Member

are the bass levels ok with the shure, because some reviews have said otherwise...I think I am probably going to buy them/ I don't need anything special, just wondering if they were seriously lacking? cheers

6. teb

teb New Member

also there appear to be two versions the stereo and professional, do both have normal 3.5mm jacks? which would you suggest to buy? thanks again

7. patwoltenholme

patwoltenholme New Member

My experience is that the HD202's have some pretty huge bass and not in a good way either. It's really knocky and it gets annoying. I dunno some people like that type of thing but not me.

8. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Sennheiser HD202-II is not a well balanced HiFi headphone but many people really like these. Very commonly bought for home multimedia with plenty of positive comments from users.

As Shaun said the Shure SRH-240 are definitely one to look at in this price range, pretty amazing quality at the price.:)

9. lilibartley

lilibartley New Member

These are pretty good..

I like the Radiopaq earphones for the iphone, I think they're called Epic? I like listening to drum and bass and these are wicked. Excellent clarity for the price.