Headphones for around £50

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by teb, Mar 2, 2011.

1. teb

teb New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on whether they know any suitable headphones that fit these categories (It may be that this isn't possible considering the price). I am currently looking at 'Sennheiser HD 448 High Quality Closed Back Circumaural Headphones' but seem to find when I find a pair of headphones that I like that I get told by reviews the exact reason not to buy them....

The headphones ideally should be:
    -in the £40-£60 range (this is important to me)
    -Closed back
    -noise cancelling...to some extent anyway
    -not too quiet, this seems to be a problem with sennheisers?
    -enough bass to enjoy most hip hop and dubstep, although I claim to be no audio expert so can probably be quite basic.
    -comfy enough to wear for a while.
    -not too ugly.
    -good for use with an iPod or laptop...
    -not on ear but over ear.

thanks, any help would be much appreciated.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi teb

The trouble with trying to answer this question is that really you need to up your budget or compromise on the features you need. Below are two earphones which fit your needs perfectly - except for the price!

Ultrasone HFI-450 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 450)
    £79.96

Denon AH-D1100 Closed Back Stereo Headphones (AHD1100)
    £99.95

I have not heard these which is why I cannot really recommend them, but ask about as they could be good -

Denon AH-D310 Closed Back Stereo Headphones in Black (AHD310)
    £39.95

3. teb

teb New Member

thanks for the feedback Robin, unfortunately the denons are not compatible with iPods- otherwise they would have been great. The other two more expensive ones are just a little too far out of my price range, thanks anyway though. I guess if they are ok sound quality, not too quiet and in my price range closed back over ear headphones...specifics do not seem to matter too much, as long as they aren't rubbish!

Do you know if these are any good?...sorry to post so many but im really stuck!:

Sennheiser Hd 215 II Closed Back Headphones With High: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Sennheiser HD 448 High Quality Closed Back Circumaural: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Sennheiser HD 428 Closed-Back Stereo Headphones With: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Creative Aurvana Live Headphones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Sony MDRXB500 Extra Bass Headphones with Large 40mm: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

SONY MDRXB300 EXTRA BASS HEADPHONE 30MM ULTRA LOW: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

4. RobinHiFi

The three Sennheiser models are dire - avoid these! They look OK but everything else is wrong, actually they don't even look all that in the flesh.

Never Tried the Creative Aurvana full size - we have some in-ears that sit along side these - although it doesn't help that much I would be interested to hear them as the in-ears were not bad at all for their price.

People have very mixed feelings about the Sony MDRXB500s/300 - My advice if buying from a range is to get the best one you can afford so out of the two mentioned Sony MDRXB500s. Some people think these are muddy and bass dominated - soundwise, nothing to write home about - however plenty of people who like a big bass heavy sound love them. It is often bass that is missing in this price category and it is probably too much to expect big warm bass and tight control over it. These are comfy and fit well with your needs but might be too bass heavy:)

5. teb

teb New Member

thanks lucky i didnt buy them then! i have been suggested these are they ok?
    shure srh240 professional closed back headphones

I just want a pair of headphones that are ok, they don't have to be in anyway exceptional...just not really have anything too wrong with them...

6. teb

teb New Member

and regarding the bass, that should be fine..the issue is whether it dominates music which isn't bass dominated?

thanks again.

7. RobinHiFi

The Shure SRH240 are really quite nice but are a little bass light - impressive build quality at this price!

8. RobinHiFi

These could be the best bet at this price point, it depends how you feel about the bass. If there was a truly great full size at about £60 it would be really popular!

9. teb

teb New Member

Yeah I reckon it is best to go for an all round ok pair of headphones rather than ones which may dominate in bass. Is it best to choose the professional or stereo versions?...I think I will go for these though...thanks for all your help.

10. RobinHiFi

11. RobinHiFi

Is there a curly cord and a straight cord then? These are straight cable:)