Headphones for Classical Music

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Hilaryval, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Hilaryval

Hilaryval New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Hello there,

I am looking for a present for my husband. He is a professional musician and listens very intensely to classical music at home. He'd like some decent headphones so that he can listen loud, late at night! The sound quality and clarity - richness, texture, and tone are really important to him (less the 'powerful bass' that's a big deal in pop music). The catch, is we're hard up...

I would really appreciate your advice for my best bet for under £50?

thank you!
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    Headphone for 50 quid

If you want to play music loud for someone with a sensitive ear for tonal qualities, you are definitely not going to find it for that money. You can find something that will sound "good" at first hearing, but you would soon learn of all of its shortcomings, and that word is really an understatement. I have a little Sennheiser PX-200-II that sells in that range, and overall the sound quality is smooth and not bassy like so many of the popular items, but the highs and hence the tonal qualities are greatly reduced. Applying a treble boost helps somewhat, but in the end I don't use them. All of what I've said does hinge on your description of course - if the hubbie is less critical than I surmise from your description, then you may find something...
  3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi Hilaryval

dalethorn is correct here - to get something that will please a knowledgeable listener or musician you need to look at spending £80 - £150. It isn't really possible to produce a headphone which articulates well at a low price - they are dependant on advanced design and materials which do not come cheap (copper, silver, gold, titanium) but have properties which cheaper materials cannot reproduce.

Here are some talented headphones which will not break the bank.:)

Ultrasone HFI-450 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 450)

Shure SRH440 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 440)

Denon AH-D1100 Closed Back Stereo Headphones (AHD1100)
  4. Hilaryval

Hilaryval New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Thank you very much for your help, Dale and Robin. I'm going to stretch, and just ordered the Ultrasone you recommended (from this site!)

The number of headphones on the market is just so large, it's overwhelming. So your guidance was really helpful!