Headphones for guitar player & hi-fi/laptop music

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by hal_heads, Aug 22, 2011.

1. hal_heads

hal_heads New Member

Hello,

I need a set of headphones to be used to plug into my guitar amp for practise and to plug into my NAD Hi-FI (& laptop) for music listening (mainly rock). I need a headphone set that will fit securely whilst playing guitar as my head tilts backwards and forwards, and has a decent cable length (3 metres is good, 2 metres minimum). For music listening I prefer good bass and bright sound. Robust build quality is very important to me, looks are not. I don’t have any preference to open or closed back headphones, occasionally I listen to music in the same room as my girlfriend watches TV, I don’t commute or anything like that, home only stuff. I have a budget of around £200.

Please can you help me?

Thanks.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi hal_heads

Hope you are OK with me borrowing from previous posts, the question of contemporary sounding full sized closed back headphones for under £200 has appeared many times before. This is obviously because so many of us now enjoy TV, Films, Games and Music through computers and smartphones whilst others are present. If you have not tried anything similar to these before they will simply blow you away, £200 is an excellent budget which gets you a really well made sturdy pair of pro standard headphones with comfort and isolation.

Closed back headphones will give you more options like using them in the same room as your girlfriend or on a plane or train.

Here are some models I would suggest -

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £124.96

or

Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)
    £149.95

or

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Headphones

£159.00

or

Denon AH-D2000 Closed Back Stereo Headphones (AHD2000)
    £227.95 - There is no enormous sonic benefit from these, they are not unlike the SRH840 in sound and are less geared up towards being portable as they are heavy and do not fold.

I am not a fan of the Monster Beat stuff at all, they do not just emphasise the bass they allow it to dominate the rest of the sound leaving the mids wimpy and distant, avoid these.

Have a quick look at this thread involving Rancid Badger

and this thread involving jamesg094

M50 are fantastic headphones which isolate well, are comfy, are very sturdy and have a very pleasing sound whilst being very easy to drive. The Shure are a little bit more armoured and have a replaceable cable but this accounts for the difference in price. Both feel exciting and have plenty of detail but also a strong and authoritative bottom end, the overall feel is just on the warm side of balanced. I am very fond of the near indestructibility of the German Maestro GMP 8.35 D:)

It depends on the exact use, feel free to ask more questions if it helps decide.

3. hal_heads

hal_heads New Member

Robin,

Thanks for the quick response. The fit of the headphones is also important considering some head movement whilst playing guitar. Is it fair to say all of the sets mentioned would cope with this, or are any models more/less secure than the others?

Thanks.

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Again the Denons are the least suitable as the others all have a more positive grip. all very comfy though!

Basically the other three are studio cans - I have left out a few of the very large ones which otherwise would work as well - and will perform beautifully.