Headphones for late night movies & gaming

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by monstermunch, Nov 25, 2008.

1. monstermunch

monstermunch New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    I want some headphones for use in my bedroom. I'd mostly be watching movies late at night or possibly even for playing games. I would imagine the headphones just plug into to the back of the TV for this sort of thing?

I'd also use the headphones to connect to my PC to listen to music. I like pop, folk and electronica. I don't have any special sound card in the PC. I'd be adjusting the EQ depending on the genre. Assume they just plug into the front of the PC were my current earphones go, the green port.

Don't mind spending about £80, any recommendations are fine though. Would probably like to connect them to my iPod as well, but just listening in the house.
  2. henders

henders New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    In my opinion and several others, the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 is the best headphone for all round usage (e.g. movies, music and games).

I’ve put the AD700 through several music and movie tests and it passed with flying colours. The frequency spectrum from low to high is exceptionally clear and well defined.

In movies (like The Matrix), the bass reproduction is accurate and deep. The sound stage is also awe inspiring via my X-Fi XtremeMusic. In music, you may comment on the lack of bass, but that’s not the fault of the AD700 but rather the mastering itself.

Before purchasing the AD700, I bought the Sennheiser HD595. To my disappointment, it failed to reproduce clean, distortion free (movie level) deep bass. Also, its over-all sound wasn’t as ‘clear’ as the AD700.