Headphones for multiple use (HTC Desire, TV & HiFi)

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by epostmagnus, Nov 9, 2010.

1. epostmagnus

epostmagnus New Member

Hi

I´m spoiled, there are so many great headphones out there! I need your expertise on what to choose. I will use them with my phone HTC Desire, with my TV/Bluray-set and sometimes with my Onkyo amplifier for cd-music. I have a pair of Koss Porta Pro today and they are not all to bad but I want more and I find the sound from the Porta Pro "messy". They also leak to much sound.
    I realize that the source is of critical importance and that the 320 kb mp3´s from my phone is limiting but there is probably some headphones out there that is more suitable than others to deliver the best sound possible (in the price range wich is about 125 £). I have looked at the Grado but I´m not shure that it is the best choice? If it is, wich model? Some headphones I have looked at (price avaiable for me in Sweden) but feel free to suggest others to:

Grado SR60 (93 £)
    Grado SR60i (93 £)
    Grado SR80 (120 £)
    Grado SR80i (120 £, price starting to burn)

AKG Have alot of headphones in the price range and I used to have a pair of AKG a long time ago and like the sound, but how to choose amongst the models today? Will I notice a difference between the K514 and the K242HD?
    AKG 400-series
    AKG K514 (46 £)
    AKG 518 (50 £)
    AKG K540 (101 £)
    AKG K142HD (111 £)
    AKG K242HD (138 £, pricetag stings just a little)

Denon AH-P372 (47 £)
    Denon AH-310 (43 £)
    Denon AH-D510 (65 £)
    Denon AH-D1100 (120 £)

Sennheiser PX200 (57 £)
    (Alot of other Sennheiser models to, but I find the HD380 for example not to great looking)

Ultrasone HFI 580 (to pricy, 150 £, looks great)

Thank you for providing your knowledge!

Regards / Magnus, Sweden

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Magnus

What kind of music do you like? If it is all sorts then let me know a few different bands/acts that you are currently listening to - Doesn't matter if they are a bit obscure, I can always myspace them:)

3. epostmagnus

epostmagnus New Member

Thanks for your reply RobinHiFi. Sorry, I missed one elementary thing - the kind of music I listen to. Here it is :

Robin Thicke
    Joe Purdy
    Paolo Nutini
    Buddy Guy
    Brad Paisley
    David Gray
    Creed
    Meatloaf
    Kings of Leon
    And now and then the classicals: Dire Straits, Gary Moore and Joe Cocker.
    ...........and some pop/rock

I "never" listen to Dance, House, Techno.

Regards /Magnus

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Although I have no doubt at all that you would love the all of the Grado headphones they are all open back and leak noise like crazy, I think they are probably the loudest headphones from the outside.

I have not got our pricing yet for the Denon AH-D510 and D1100 but these may come in at a little less than you think and they would really suit your purposes.

The Semi-open AKG are interesting but ultimately still leak quite a lot of noise some of these are not easy to drive well - the additional cost of an portable amp is probably not something you want to entertain.

From the list of headphones you mention I would probably try to grab the D1100 - Haven't heard the D510 yet but these could be amazing at their price point.

5. epostmagnus

epostmagnus New Member

RobinHiFi - a sunny thank you from a snowy Sweden! I will go at the Denon 1100. Fathers day is coming up and because I didn´t get anything last year I think a compensation could be expected :=).
    I´ll keep looking for price and availability on hifiheadphones, I understand that they are all new.

Best regards /Magnus