Headphones for Music Student

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by StellaR, Aug 27, 2012.

1. StellaR

StellaR New Member

Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of headphones to buy for my son's coming 18th birthday. He is currently enrolled in a music college with a degree in music with piano as a major. The headphones will be mostly used with his digital piano for playing and composing music. Sound quality and clarity is most crucial, and portability is not an issue.

He mostly listens to classical music, piano concertos and the such, and some occasional pop music as well.

He has recently mentioned about a pair of Sennheiser HD800, but we simply can't afford it.
    Our budget range is preferably around £100 or lower, although up to £120 is still acceptable.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

As long as you're aware of what the sound quality issues really mean with headphones, then perhaps this will make sense. At the top of your range here are the Beyer DT770 Pro, which are good, but have some colorations. Above your range slightly are the German Maestro which have less coloration, and come pretty close to neutral, and so in my opinion are a better fit for the serious music student.

Closed Back Headphones

3. StellaR

StellaR New Member

Thanks for the reply. I've decided to go with the German Maestro model. I have looked through the list and found a few German Maestro models.

Namely,
    GMP 8.300D at £114
    GMP 250 at £124

Right now, my dilemma is between the 2 models.
    I've only been able to find reviews of the GMP 8.300D but not the latter.
    My question now is if the extra £10 paid worth it, since we won't be buying another set of headphones for him in the near future, or at least until he buys one on his own.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I searched Google through 50 or so listings and was unable to find a single real review for the 250 model. But I see in the spec sheets here that the 8.30D and 8.35D have a nearly identical response (and I have the 8.35D myself), while the 250 appears to be a much lower fidelity that would not suit a serious musician or music listener.

5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Although it is a little bit more the GMP 8.35D is the version to go for. This is the lower impedance version which will work in every scenario whereas the GMP8.3 has more resistance and will come up too quiet on small devices - which are the sort of thing a student will want to use them with (keyboards, laptops). The extra price is worth it - I would imagine that used every day the musician in question may still be using them in 15 years!:)

6. StellaR

StellaR New Member

I have discussed with my husband on this and we have decided to go for a one last stretch of our budget and get the GMP 8.35d.

If it is described as almost indestructible as in the reviews, then it would probably last him for a long time, or at least until he graduates, hopefully.

Thank you all for your input and have a nice day.