headphones for my son

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by tilman2141, Nov 17, 2014.

1. tilman2141

tilman2141 New Member

new to this forum but hope I can find some help. My son ask for some new headphones for Christmas and ask for beats, which I am not a fan of, so we started looking and I have in narrowed to a few sets. B&O H6 over ear, Sennheiser over ear or on ear, beyerdynamic DT 1350 on ear. Now I know some about headphones but not enough to make a solid sound decision on which to go with, I have read reviews on each, mainly on Cnet.com, and all sound great. I know there is going to be a pretty good differnce in sound with on ear verses over ear. From what I have read on reviews here is the order I am seeing for over all sound quality, hearing lows mids and highs clearly and seperatly . open sound stage and just over all warm sound. B&O H6 would be my first choice, then Sennheiser over ear, Beyerdynamic DT1350 and then on ear Sennheiser momentums. have I looked at these correctly and would this be the order most of you would see this. he will mainly use for mobile use with iPhone but some use will be at home. I am sorry ahead of time if I have misspoke on anything here, I am looking for helping in choosing the best all around headphone for him, and if you have another model please let me know. Thank you for your time and help

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Your summation is pretty accurate. But will he like the H6? It's good, but the Sennheiser Momentum Around-Ear** has a signature that's much more mainstream and user-friendly - warmer, better bass, etc. I'd recommend the H6 for someone who's a more advanced audiophile, who knows exactly what it sounds like, so they're not disappointed.

**Over-Ear means both on-ear and around-ear, hence (despite widespread use) it misinforms people. For example, the Sennheiser Momentum Around-Ear headphone is only partly around, and partly on ear, while the Momentum On-Ear is strictly on-ear. And the around-ear model sounds much, much better.

3. tilman2141

tilman2141 New Member

Signature Sound

When you say it has a signature sound that is much more mainstream what do you mean by that, its heavier bass? he listend to a pair of beyerdynamic DT770 and liked them but they were very quiet almost like they were regulated on volume, if that makes since, but he loved the balanced sound, not an over bloated bass like the beats, are the H6s along that line or are they to weak on bass

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The DT770 has a fairly dark sound that's actually a bit 'cavernous' in the lower mids, with just a slight treble peak around 8-9 khz. The H6 has a very good low end with decent output in the deepest bass. The DT770 upper bass to lower mids has a kind of emphasis that darkens the sound, but the H6 has a slight emphasis in the upper mids that gives it a lighter-than-average sound, almost verging on nasal. The H6 upper highs are good, but noticeably softer than the DT770. The H6 is an ideal portable, while I find the DT770 not practical as a portable - partly because of the bulk, but most importantly the H6 can be worn around the neck very unobtrusively when not listening, while the DT770 makes that essentially undoable. The DT770 is a great headphone for home or studio use, especially for classical, jazz, acoustic etc. For metal or other "hard" or bright music, I'd choose something with a softer treble.

5. tilman2141

tilman2141 New Member

I have it down to the #1. Sennheiser around ear momentum, #2. Beyerdynamic T51 or T50 if I could figure out the differences, lol or #. B&O H6 i am one that likes the sound of music as natural as you can getit. I guess the way I would describe it is setting in front of a stage and listening to the music, hearing the drums in the back, guitars and keyboards on sides and vocals out front., thats how I like it to sound out of the headphones. and he tends to follow that same pattern.

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The worst or most critical thing I can say about the Momentum is the extreme highs are slightly soft, but that's very unlikely to offend your recipient. The T51p (ditto T50p) is one of the unnatural sounding headphones I've ever had, and here is my EQ curve I apply to it:

http://dalethorn.com/Photos/Audioforge/Beyer_T51p.jpg

There's a huge peak at 5 khz - 'nuff said. I love the EQ'd sound, but without the EQ I wouldn't touch it. My T51p just came back from repair - it has the thinnest wires going into the earcups of any headphone I've seen - even thinner than the tiny plastic Bose OE2. So I'm crossing my fingers on that one.

The H6 I find more satisfying personally, but most users overwhelmingly prefer the Momentum. To be honest, from the standpoint of perfection, the Momentum lacks only the high end detail found in the HD600/650/800, although many Sennheisers such as the pricy HD8-DJ and HD26 are far less hi-fi than the Momentum. The H6 is a botique item and priced well above its performance level, and compared to perfection, has only the upper midrange coloration to complain about. If I were buying from this site, I'd add points to the Momentum and that would be that -- buying from Amazon though, you could reasonably take a chance on the H6.

7. tilman2141

tilman2141 New Member

ok I found a Momentum set for 199.00 sale price and the same for the H6 so it sounds like the Momentum would be the choice even though they are same in price

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

It's a great headphone, but don't forget that there are many fakes being sold today, and given the manufacturing prowess in China, many of those fakes look like the real thing (but don't sound like the real thing). So always buy from an authorized dealer, unless you trust the discounter 100 percent.

9. bradleywill

bradleywill New Member

I agree, I would also go for the Momentum in that case. Hope he will be happy with it.

10. robinetso

robinetso New Member

your son is very cute

11. bluedio boy

bluedio boy New Member

bluedio amazing value amazing sound

Seeing as you seem to be in the market for top of the range headphones as you mentioned beats and b&o may i reccomend BLUEDIO UFO FAITH SERIES these tetail for £129.99 on amazon and you will be totally amazed by the build and sound quality for the price easily out performing the established brands at s fraction of the cost they are made of aliminium and titanium so are most defianetly built to last and come with 3d sound which is truly amazing like being in the centre of an orchestra.These headphones use bluetooth 4.1and have an amazing standby and listening battery life feel free to tead and view the various reviews on amazon and youtube and I personally believe you will not be disapointed if purchasing these