Headphones for small ear canals

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by tadjer, Nov 17, 2008.

1. tadjer

tadjer New Member

I enjoy listening to my MP3 player everyday on the way to work, but I have a problem. My ears are really small, and I have a hard problem getting the average earphone to fit in my ear comfortably.

I noticed all earphones are around the same size, the ones with the sponge or cushion on it does not work well either. My question was if there is any possible way to make earphones come in different sizes and shapes, kind of like hearing aids?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Earphones for small ear canals

In our experience the Phonak Audeo PFE range are particularly good for smaller ear canals. Some of the Phonak range come supplied with Comply Foam eartips (or can be purchased as an extra for the lower end models), which fit just about any size ear comfortably. Phonak have been manufacturing hearing aids since 1947, which explains why their earphones fit so well in the ear.

Comply Foam eartips are available as an aftermarket upgrade for a large range of earphones and we've received many positive comments from customers with ear canals at the small end of the scale.

Shaun

3. naomicooley@btinternet.co

naomicooley@btinternet.co New Member

any good for running?

I have the same problem - small ears, small head. Are these earphones recommended for running? I was wearing Nike Vapours, which were almost small enough, but 3-way clip fiddly and delicate nature meant they have broken fairly quickly.

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

The Phonak PFEs are fine for running. One caveat is that the Comply Foam eartips seal very well in your ear and will isolate you from the World around you, so may not be suitable when running near traffic. Perfect for in the gym on the treadmill though!

The PFEs are designed to be worn with the cable running up over the ear, which is ideal for running as it prevents transmission noise travelling up the cable when you move about.