Headphones for TV

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by hazzy, Dec 14, 2008.

1. hazzy

hazzy New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    I am experiencing difficulty in hearing some film soundtracks when playing DVDs via my TV headphones.

Is there a type of headphone or headset that I can use to enhance the sound to me, via my TV, without cutting off the sound to other viewers in the same room?

The headphones I have cut off the sound from the TV when plugged in to the "audio" out socket on the TV set and transfer it to the headphones. Is there a way around this. I would be grateful for any advise.

Thank You.
  2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Aug 30, 2008
    TV headphones

If your TV has a line level audio output (normally 2x RCA Phono sockets on the back) then you can drive the headphones from an independent headphone amplifier - see the headphone amplifier section on the HiFi Headphones website.

This means you have your own volume control and the main TV sound is not muted. For example the Pro-Ject Head Box II is a single output headphone amp that would do the job well for a single pair of headphones, whereas the Project Head Box SE II would be better if two of you want to listen via headphones with your own separate volume controls.

Check out our shop category if you're looking for TV headphones.
  3. jimmyb

jimmyb New Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Headphones for watching TV

I've been considering adding two pairs of headphones and a headphone amp to my living room setup for late night TV viewing. I'm always worried about keeping the neighbours awake with movies.

The Project Head Box SE II looks ideal for my setup, as I'll be watching with my girlfriend. Does anyone have experience with the Project range? How is the sound quality?