Headphones for TV

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by wideboater, Oct 19, 2010.

1. wideboater

wideboater New Member

I have an hearing problem which qualifies me for hearing aids but I find them uncomfortable and mostly unnecessary for everyday use. The only real problem I have is with TV.

I find the sound on TV "muffled", not clear as though it could do with the base reducing and the treble increasing.

Do headphones exist that have the ability to alter the base and treble? Wireless would be nice but I am impecunious and therefore cost does come into the equation.

I'm tight-fisted as well.

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Wideboater,

You forgot to mention that you are also a natural comic!:D

Equalization is poorly looked upon through the Hi Fi community - boosting parts of the frequency spectrum normally has a quite negative effect on recordings and is more closely associated with post production (mixing) for music and films before all parts of a recording are married together. This means that EQ is not something regularly found in Hi Fi Audio and therefore even more rarely found in affordable products.

I am not aware of a pair of headphones which include bass and treble controls. If you have a reasonably new TV it is almost certain that buried in the TV menu will be an EQ of some sort. Obviously the problem with that comes when somebody else wants to watch TV with you!

This is the only thing I can find which might help you out, it's a baby portable EQ for headphones - Not available in the UK and I've never tried one -

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^ac^EQ50^Y

If you find one and it helps let us know:)