headphones for TV

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by ianehyde, May 8, 2011.

  1. ianehyde

    ianehyde Casual Listener

    May 8, 2011
    is it possible to purchase an adaptor to connect twin (L&R) audio outputs to a single headhone cable?
  2. RobinHiFi

    RobinHiFi Super Moderator

    Apr 28, 2010
    Hi Ian

    What I suspect you are really looking for is a small amp with two channels. Obviously this will be much more expensive than a little cable, if you can find one. I think you are probably trying to connect your TV and your HiFi to your headphones, or PC and TV or similar. The problem is that most people trying to do something like this will buy a proper solution, which should be a powered unit with channel switching, and some people may make their own cable to us with an existing bit of equipment. If you are trying to connect line level sources (from RCA/Phono) Then you need an amp with two channels, a cable is not a workable solution as you cannot then adjust volume. If the two sources are proper headphone outputs you may find a two stereo 3.5mm Jack to single female Y cable somewhere (you would also need two ext cables) but I have not seen one.

    In Pro Audio this is what a mixer or headphone amp system is for and at home people would normally use a headphone amp with two switchable input channels.

    Hope that helps a bit.
  3. Shaun-HiFi

    Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

    Aug 30, 2008

Share This Page