Headphones for under £50

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Lennoxm2b, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Lennoxm2b

Lennoxm2b New Member

Hey Guys, sorry to bother you all, as this question is gonna suck for you, because I'm sure if your anything like me, you'd say spend the money to get the quality, but these are for my better half, and are her requirements!

Ok, so for Christmas, my girl would like some headphones, They Preferably need to be folding as to fit neatly into her bag, and they also need to be over ear, but not big, more like old school walkman headphones from the eighties... they also need to be preferably a colour of sorts as she 'hates black'.

She also stated she wants me to spend no more than £50, and because of everything else I am buying her, and the way I know she will treat these headphones, I'm reluctant to spend more than £50. I would really appreciate your help on this Guys!

So the criteria is - Colour, folding (if I can) and less than £50.

My own research initially took me WESC, skull candy and Beats by Dre but I thought they would be commercial crap, then I got to the below, are any of these any good at all?

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/sen...headphones-in-white-px-100ii-prodid-2003.html

Frends Alli Closed-Back On-Ear Headphones Kingston

AiAiAi Tracks Closed-Back Retro Headphones with Mic in Black

Sony MDR-570LP User Reviews | Headphones | CNET UK

New |HA-S160 | JVC FLATS Headphones at JVC

I realise this sort of thing has been asked before, but it seemed to be serveral years ago, and obviously times have moved on...

Thanks again,

lenny

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. KornelHiFi

KornelHiFi Administrator

Hi Lenny,

The Sennheiser PX100-II is the one that fits all requirements (other than looking like an 80's retro walkman, in that aspect the AiAiAi is the winner, hands down): it folds up, it has a white version and it is under £50. The only issue here is that the PX100-II is an open back headphone which means it leaks quite a bit of sound outside which might not be ideal on the go. However, they have the same headphones in closed back version, the PX200-II:

Sennheiser PX200-II Foldable Headphones in White (PX 200-II)
    £59.95

The AiAiAi's obviously have their really nice retro look but they are not foldable. The Frends cans are really colorful and just as the AiAiAi's they also have a mic which is compatible with the iPhone and most Blackberry models but they won't fold up either. I can't really say anything about the other two as we do not stock them although they do seem to be good for the job, especially the JVC that folds up.

After giving it a second thought, I'd choose by the looks as there is not a significant difference in the sound quality between them. I'd put the PX100-II's a little bit above the others although the AiAiAi's are not to far behind at all.

3. Lennoxm2b

Lennoxm2b New Member

Hey Kornel HiFi,

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it! shorty after posting my question I did see the PX200-II and have been seriously considering them, despite the price.

So I guess I'm now going between the

Frends Alli Closed-Back On-Ear

Sennheiser PX200-II

And the JVC

So with the JVC I will be saving myself a bit of money, but can only assume I will be sacrificing sound quality? Would I be right?

The Frends also seem to be a bit 'too cheap', although they sell some pairs for £37 and some for £23? Is there a reason for that I havnt seen? Having said they are 'too Cheap' the reports Ive read are generally good? So would I be wrong in saying that?

Then the Sennheiser PX200-II, these are the headphones I'm definately leaning towards, But I guess the question is, are they worth the extra money? especially taking into account durability and sound quality? The only other question I have, is that Ive had a pair of Sennheiser headphones in the past and they broke when the cable came away from the ear piece, I've also read on the net that people have had similar problems with Sennheiser, is this a common problem?

The AiAiAi, I like but they appear a bit flimsey, and witht he fact they do not fold up, I can imagine them being ruined in a matter of days in my girlfriends bag haha.

Thanks again! This is a brilliant website! Just what I was looking for!

Lenny

4. KornelHiFi

KornelHiFi Administrator

Hi Lenny,

I am pretty sure that between the three, the Sennheiser's have the best sound quality, although I did read good things about the JVC's. I am not sure how the Frends and the JVC compare to each other. There may be several reasons for the price differences among the Frends models: some may be end of life, a merchant trying to get rid of their stock etc.. It is hard to tell.

I wouldn't say that cable is a common issue with Sennheiser's; I am more inclined to say that cables are the main problem with the entry level portable headphones in their entirety - and to be honest, I could have left out 'entry level' as even the most expensive ones may suffer from the same issue. In most of the cases, that's the first thing that goes wrong and even though there are some companies who produce slightly better quality cables, Sennheiser does not make particularly bad ones. It is all down to how they are taken care of so if you are really worried about your better half not paying enough attention to the cans, it might be a good idea to just go for the JVC's as they go for less than half the price. But then again, if you want the best sound quality, the PX200-II's are the ones to go for. Not easy at all, I know :D

5. Lennoxm2b

Lennoxm2b New Member

KornelHiFi,

That is some really good advice, thank you so much for your help, it isn't an easy decision but you have made it so much easier! Thank you for your help, I really Really appreciate it! Its a shame there isn't more websites like this one!!

Whilst I'm here, not really in reference to my purchase, but more out of curiousity, what do you make of the Beats by Dre Headphones? Also Skill Candy? I feel this are all about the image as opposed to quailty, and can't help but feel they are massively over priced?

Or is that wrong? haha!

Lenny

6. KornelHiFi

KornelHiFi Administrator

I am not overly fond of either, I feel the Monster Beats by Dre series are massively overpriced for what they are capable of and whilst some of the Skullcandy models are alright, they are really nothing special. As you said, both brands operate more with their looks and marketing strategies than their sound quality. You can and will do better :)

7. Lennoxm2b

Lennoxm2b New Member

Thats good, I'm glas I wasnt completely wrong!

OK this is the last question, I'm now thinking about getting some headphones for my mother for xmas aswell, she needs them for walking the dog to listen to the radio etc, but also to answer phone calls.

I noticed the

Frends Alli Closed-Back On-Ear Headphones Ammo Green & Grape

Are compatible with iphone and blackberry, but does this also mean they will be compatible with The nokia N8?

Thanks!

8. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Lennoxm2b,

Unfortunately there are far too many Mobiles and variations for us to know all the compatibility - more than 400 currently on the market and over 5000 models belived to be in use in the UK. I have had a look on line and it is a little confusing as to which layout this Nokia has - I would contact Nokia or the shop which supplied the N8 as they should know. You just need to find out if the socket has the same layout as the standard iPhone/Blackberry layout.

9. Lennoxm2b

Lennoxm2b New Member

Thanks RobinHiFi,

Afyer all of your guys advice and help, I think Ive come to a final decision, for my girlfriend, who wanted colourful, foldable on ear headphones, with good durability and reasonable sound quality for her ipod Ive decided on...

Breo De Janeiro Folding DJ Headphones in Yellow & Black

and for my mother, who wanted In Ear headphones that wont fall out, to listen to the radio, compatible with her phone, Ive chosen...

SoundMAGIC MP21 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones in Pink with Microphone

I think this is a good decision based on what you've said, If I could just get your guys opinion on these two headphones, and if they are infact suitable, I will be placing an order!

Thanks guys!!

10. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I think they will be pleased with your choices. Merry Christmas!:D

11. Lennoxm2b

Lennoxm2b New Member

LEGEND!

Thanks again for all your help!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!