Headphones for work

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Hooblue, May 7, 2013.

1. Hooblue

Hooblue New Member

I travel to work by train each day and use a pair of Phonek Audeo PFE122's for the commute. However when in the office I find that having to keep putting them in your ears and taking them out abit of a pain, especially when the phone goes!

Up until now I've been using a cheap pair of Sony on-ears but they've recently given up the ghost and snapped. I'm therefore in the market for a new pair. However this time I want to spend abit more. Budget is upto about £60, although I could maybe push a little more.

As said above, I'd like a pair of on-ears, preferably with remote and mic just in case I do decide to use them with my iPhone. I've been looking at the following:

AKG K451
    Klipsch Image One
    Audio Technica ATH-WS55i

Are there any others that I should be looking at? I want them reasonably small if possible but not too lightweight and flimsy feeling. I listen to a mixture of music types, but mainly electronic stuff and hip-hop, so a reasonable amount of controlled bass would be good.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The Klipsch Image One will give you much more fidelity than the other two, but it costs a lot more, unless someone is dumping the old version. If that's the case, be careful and make sure they're returnable if not perfect.

3. Hooblue

Hooblue New Member

I was actually thinking of the older version of the Image One anyway as that can be picked up new for about my budget. Couldn't stretch to £120 for the newer version.

Would the older Image One be a better bet than the Audio Technica as they seem to get some very good reviews?

Someone has also recommended me the Denon AH-D1100's and also the Sen HD555's but from what I've read the Denon's are abit flimsy.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The older Image One should be about the same as the new Image One. My advice is to be careful - if you're getting a bargain price on the older model, be sure it's genuine (not a clone) and that you buy it from an authorized retailer, not eBay etc.

5. Hooblue

Hooblue New Member

On Amazon the older Image One is £60 while the mark 2 is £130! Haven't found the newer version any cheaper than that.

The AKG's are about £50 while the Audio Technica are about £80

My budget was about £60, hence why I was considering the older Image One in the mix. Would the older version be better than the Audio Technica, or is it worth paying abit more? Any other iPhone friendly models I should consider?

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I checked Amazon for the seller, but I can't tell if they are an authorized Klipsch seller or not. That is important to know.

7. Hooblue

Hooblue New Member

Just been on the Klipsch Website and had a look at the authorized UK dealers. Soundzdirect are listed there. If you click into the seller on Amazon it lists the address as Soundzdirect, so it appears they are an authorized seller, so should be ok to purchase from.

If this is the case, would you recommend the older Image Ones over the AKG's, Audio Technica's and Denon's?

Any others people would consider?

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I can recommend the Image One, but I haven't heard the AKG or AT or Denon. I did some research on those others a couple months ago, but after reading many reviews, I decided against taking a chance on them. Getting good neutral sound in that price range is hit or miss. I did have a Beyerdynamic DTX501p which was very good in spite of its low retail price, but it would not have as strong a bass as the Klipsch, and the treble is shy as well. Treble shyness is the major plague of popular headphones like Beats etc., and also most of the low cost models. I could make a long list, such as the DTX501p, Philips M1, Harman CL, B&W P3, v-moda M80, Phiaton MS400 and 300, Logitech UE4000, Marley Exodus, Bose OE2, ATH ESW9 and 11....

9. Hooblue

Hooblue New Member

Well I opted for the Image One's in the end. Arrived today and so far very pleased! Nice and comfy even for a prolonged length of time. Nice and bassy but without overpowering the mid's and highs, with nice separation too.

£60 well spent. I think this headphone malarky is becoming an addiction now as I'm up to my 6th pair!

10. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

The headphones have got you!:D