Headphones - noise isolating, use on motorbike

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by rtman, May 13, 2012.

1. rtman

rtman New Member

Hi - hope I can pick your brains.

I'm a biker and need to be able to hear my sat-nav while riding. I've just bought a new helmet and it seems to be well-nigh impossible to fit a bluetooth headset to this particular lid - the sat-nav is bluetooth also so this would be the perfect solution.

I use custom-moulded silicone earplugs to protect my hearing while riding and wondered if a pair of earbud headphones might work instead. That way I'd be wired to the sat-nav but it might be worth the inconvenience,

Basic requirements would be:

1. Earbud units must fit as much "in ear" as possible with little to nothing sticking out of my ear to contact the helmet lining (or they'll just pull out)
    2. Reasonably robust - good strong cables.
    3. Good to excellent sound isolation
    4. They'd be used for music too, but not while riding, so good sound quality would be good.
    5. No mic or volume controls on the cord so can be used in the wet.

I have a pair of Shure in-ear phones (I think they're E4b but I've had them for years) which I've tried using custom-moulded silicone plugs for (where the original ear canal seal is discarded and the speaker unit is installed in a moulded earplug). It doesn't work too well because there's so much sticking out of my ear it's almost impossible to get the helmet on without dragging one or both units out of my ears.

I imagine the sort of in-ear monitors you see musicians / tv people using would be idea but waaay to expensive. I'd happily pay up to £150 for something that'd fit the bill.

Can anyone help me with recommendations / suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I would go for one of these two - maybe try the SoundMAGICs first but the Phonaks disappear into the ear - I can even get my head flat on the desk with these in. Over ear cabling should make it easier to get your helmet on.

SoundMAGIC PL30 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones in Black
    £29.99
    Comply Foam Ear Tips T-400 Black Assorted S/M/L (3-pairs)
    £14.99

or

Audeo PFE 012 Perfect Bass Earphones in Black (PFE-012)
    £89.99
    Comply Foam Eartips T-130 Black Medium (3-pairs)
    £19.99

add the comply tips for better isolation and fit.

3. rtman

rtman New Member

Thanks for that - I'm grateful. I'll check them out.

4. Trunkz

Trunkz New Member

I'm sorry. What? You're wanting to use in-ears whilst riding a motorbike. Do you know how dangerous it is to effectively block out your hearing whilst you're on a bike?