Headphones recommendations for around £100

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by liamgaul93, Dec 21, 2013.

1. liamgaul93

liamgaul93 New Member

Ok I'm a complete noob so please bare with me as I'd hugely appreciate your advice.

I'm looking to get a pair of new headphones and I'm looking at over ear closed cans.
    I'll mostly be listening on the go around London, on the tube but also at home and the library so would need something portable-ish and that's why I'm going for closed backs. I would consider on ears too as they generally look better but my thinking is the closed will give better noise isolation and be more comfortable?

I will mostly be listening to music off of my iPhone 5S but sometimes my MacBook Pro too and MP3 files @ 320kbps as I don't really have the space for lossless files.

I listen to a lot of hip-hop and electronic music at the moment but listen to all sorts, rock and indie bands, alternative, punk, reggae anything from Jack White to The Smiths but more of hip-hop and electronic at the moment. Probably easier to list what I don't listen to which is pretty much only classical, heavy metal and crappy chart pop.

So I'm looking for an all rounder really but not something that's lacking in bass.
    Will occasionally listen to films as well so needs to be comfortable to wear for up to 3hrs max, will not really listen for any longer than that.

I have some SoundMagic E10s at the moment and I'm going to get some comply foam tips for those. These seem to get extremely good reviews and I was just wondering if you think some full cans @ £100ish will sound that much better than these?

Also as I'm playing through my iPhone mainly do you think I'll need an amp? I really have no understanding of how these work and exactly what they do. From what I gather, some devices - in my case an iPhone 5S - aren't powerful enough to drive the headphones to get optimal output from them. What exactly does this mean though, that the music will be too quiet or that the device doesn't have enough electrical power to power the headphones properly so the music is distorted? And how does the amp go about solving this, are they battery operated? This is probably one of the most ignorant questions you've had on the forum haha but I'd appreciate some insight.

Ok so last thing. The only pair I've really considered are the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 as they're around my budget and seem to have good reviews. I don't particularly like the coiled cable but hopefully it wont be such a big deal. My only concern was that they may be lacking in the lower ends and I like a well defined and punchy bass. Would you recommend these for my music taste and any other recommendations.

Anybody who takes the time to read this and respond I will be extremely thankful.

Merry Christmas

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The ATH M50 will give you the *most* bass for your budget, and good bass at that.

3. liamgaul93

liamgaul93 New Member

Any need for an amp to power ATH-M50 off of an iPhone?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

There's no actual need, as the volume of the iPhone and the frequency response of the M50 will provide the full range of tone and dynamics. What you can expect with a small amp like the FiiO E07k is a more expanded sense of aliveness, soundstage, and impact. But the phone alone will provide most of that so the amp is just an upgrade (and a good one!) rather than a necessity.

If you do get an amp, use the LOD, not the headphone jack.