Headphones that don't leak sound for ipod

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by colint, Jun 30, 2010.

1. colint

colint New Member

Hi

I'm looking for a pair of headphones for my ipod to mainly use when I'm travelling by train. I really don't like annoying fellow commuters with leaking sound, so my priority is to find a pair that leak as little sounds as possible. Sounds quality is second priority with size third.

Budget is £200, grateful for any advice

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Colin,

First of all I guess must people solve this problem with earphones or IEM's (In Ear Monitors) which can have exceptional sound quality are small enough to go in the pocket and leak next to no noise at all. Some great examples would be -

Audeo PFE 112 Perfect Fit Earphones in Black (PFE-112)

£119.95 - detailed and crystal clear - classical, folk and pop

Sennheiser IE8 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones (IE 8)

£186.95 - warm and smooth - dance, rock orchestral classics

Klipsch Image X10 In-Ear Sound Isolating Headphones (Image X 10)

£189.95 - Crystal clear, massive bass - dance and modern metal

Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 PRO Earphones Metallic Blue

£209.95 - clean, exciting, balanced - contemporary or classics

However, quite a lot of people can find these intrusive or uncomfortable even with new comfy comply foam tips.

If this is the case then full size headphones are a great alternative to in ears - Closed backs are a must for commuting! Open back headphones will spill noise into the surrounding space making you unpopular with fellow travellers. Closed back headphones are "isolated" to prevent spill but some do a better job than others.

Full size headphones can be hard to drive, especially as MP3 player manufacturers are being asked to limit outputs. Something like this mini amp can solve this cheaply -

FiiO E1 Headphone Amplifier for iPod/iPhone in Black

£17.95

Because of your budget there is plenty to choose from and these all sound great whilst being well isolated -

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones 80Ω (DT 770)

£129.95 - Largest and hardest to drive of the bunch - Great warm sound

Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)

£169.95 - Big bass, warm and clean

Ultrasone HFI-780 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 780)

£178.95 - Balanced, clean and awesome at this price - surprisingly open sounding

Over budget but made for this brief! High end hifi sound in a tiny package - using technology from Beyers flagship Tesla T1 excellent isolation and comfy fit - This is as good as iPod headphones get.

Beyerdynamic T50p Portable Closed Back Headphones

£239.95
    Hope this helps!

3. colint

colint New Member

Thanks Robin

Tempted by the T50p, I suppose the obvious rival to them is the B&W P5. I know you don't stock them but any idea how they compare ?

4. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Beyerdynamic P50t v B&W P5

Interestingly I recently wrote a comparative review of the Beyerdynamic T50p v B&W P5. Sound isolation is great with the T50P, so hooked upto an iPod on the move the headphones won't leak a lot of sound.

We had a sample of the B&W P5 in for evaluation and now stock the Beyerdynamic T50p (we have a very small amount of initial stock).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010