headphones upto £150 mainly for gaming

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by mosse33, Jan 22, 2014.

1. mosse33

mosse33 New Member

hi all

im looking at these 3 headphones as £150 is my price limit.

dt 770 80ohm - 250ohms £118 (which version is best for my needs)
    soundmagic hp100 £144 (bit worried about parts and warranty)
    agk 550 £124 (some say can sound a bit flat)

ive been reading a lot of reviews and all have great write ups

i will be using them on my computer with a creative soundblaster z card

they will be mainly for gaming eg battlefield with movies second and music third

i always read comments that headphones are better than pc headsets if anyone could comfirm this

i would need closed headphones as i have noisey enviroment behind me

if anyone as had experience with the 3 headphones or give some advice i would be very greatful

THANKS

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

For gaming you would definitely want a good solid bass - and a warm overall sound:

The DT770 is best. Which ohms depends on your hardware requirements. I personally would go for the lower impedance if it matches your hardware, since that would make the headphone more compatible with the modern trend toward lower impedance in general.

3. mosse33

mosse33 New Member

the soundblaster z has a headphone amp built in supporting 600 ohm that is why I was looking at the 250ohm
    Is there a big difference between 250ohm and the 80 ohm

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

It is possible to have 2 differences - the lower value is needed for lower-powered amps, and it's always possible they would sound different. But I don't have both so I can't compare them.

The DT770 250 is a professional model, for monitoring etc. Your consumer gear shouldn't require that impedance. You should do some research on your requirements to get a better understanding of the parameters.

5. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

The DT770 certainly would be a good choice!

There are slight differences in sound between the two models, mainly that the 250ohm are more controlled - but they do need the extra power. The 80ohm model could be a good option as you would be able use them on a larger range of sources.

Another difference is that the 80ohm model has a straight cable, the 250ohm cable is coiled.

6. mosse33

mosse33 New Member

Thanks John and dalethorn
    I think i will go with the 80ohm version sounds like the best one for what I will be using them for.
    Unless there is any other headphones u would recommend

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

You'll love them, and do report back.