Headphones with remote balance control

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by jbib, Nov 2, 2010.

1. jbib

jbib New Member

I'm looking for cordless headphones for a disabled person for watching TV.

Lightweight with foam pads - not buds and not cups.

Lots to choose from I know, but I have some unusual requirements.

Due to some hearing loss on one side, she needs a left/right balance control.

A tone control would be nice.

These controls need to accessible from her sitting position, not on the transmitter - so maybe a remote control?

A volume control is also needed as the phones cannot be plugged into the TV's headphone socket, which mutes the speaker. I intend to use Audio Out phono sockets as she will want to switch between the phones and the TV's internal speakers.

If the phones are rechargable it would be nice if the charging dock was not part of the transmitter.

Any ideas will be gratefully considered.

2. Jon @ HiFi

Jon @ HiFi Super Moderator

Hi jbib, welcome to the HiHi Headphones forum :)

I must admit this is a tricky one, basically each of our Wireless headphones has at least one of the required features but none of them have all of the features!

The Sennheiser RS140, now unfortunately discontinued, was perhaps the closest to matching everything 100%; L-R Balance and volume controls on the Headphone, rechargeable via the Cradle etc.

The RS120 lacks a Balance control, but does have material covered pads rather than cups so this might be worth a look.

The other option, if safe and practical would be a long extension cable - perhaps run around the skirting board or under a carpet etc. The Sennheiser Extension cable has seperate L/R Volume controls, and then you could pick a lightweight headset of choice to connect to this.

I'm sorry we couldn't match your requirements exactly on this, if anyone has any other good ideas we're happy to hear them!

Thanks

Jon