Headroom Total Bithead or Pro-Ject Head Box II

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by NOJ89, Mar 23, 2009.

1. NOJ89

NOJ89 New Member

Amp would come to use with Ipod and computer mainly. Which would be better? How can I connect Ipod/Computer to 2x RCA? Do I need an adapter or what? Thank you!

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Headphone amp for iPod & computer

The HeadRoom Total Bithead and ProJect Head Box II are two very different amps. The obvious big difference is that the Bithead is designed to be portable, whereas the Head Box is definitely not. I presume you would be using the amp for home/office listening?

The Bithead also has a DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter), which is great for computer listening as you bypass the nasty headphone output present on most PC's and laptops.

Have you considered an iBasso D2 headphone amp & DAC? Functionality is very similar to the Bit Head. I haven't tried both side by side, so can't comment on performance.

3. NOJ89

NOJ89 New Member

Hmm.. you know, now it seems that iBasso D2 would be the most best option; cause it includes that DAC. What you think about that amplifier? Is it really easy to connect to the computer and to Ipod? And yes, my listening would really be stationary, if I am moving, for example exercising, I will not carry any amp with me. But the describtion of the iBasso doesn't tell that does it include that iPod Line Out Dock Cable?

4. RobGoodison

RobGoodison New Member

I'd second the iBasso D2 headphone amplifier.

I have one connected to an Apple iMac for desktop listening (using DAC and amplifier functionality), and use it as a portable amplifier for both my iPod classic and iPod touch (2nd generation model).

Results are superb in both modes (Denon AH-D2000 'phones when at desktop; Denon AH-C551 'phones on the move…Apple Lossless audio format files).

I've been so impressed that I'm selling my Graham Slee Solo (2008 Green model) headphone amplifier. Whilst it isn't quite as spacious sound-stage wise, the sound quality is definitely in the same ball-park.

5. RobGoodison

RobGoodison New Member

Connects to my computer via USB.

Connects to the iPods via the iBasso Line Out Dock Adapter and the iBasso CB01 3.5mm - 3.5mm cable (getting both adds another £30+ to the purchase price, but IMHO it's money well spent)

6. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Headphone amp and DAC for computer

Rob: Thanks for your impressions of the D2. I agree about the sound quality with the iBasso. It definitely is up there with the best headphone amps available - and it's portable... and it has a DAC!!

I've hooked up the iBasso D2 with my IBM T62 laptop running Windows XP and there was no software to install. You just plug it into a USB port and it detects it OK. It acts like a soundcard.

You can connect the D2 to an iPod via the supplied 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, or alternatively for a better quality audio signal you can connect via an iPod Line Out Dock (LOD) cable.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009