Headset or Headphones for Brainwave Entrainment and Gaming

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by TheJasonSensation, Jun 4, 2013.

1. TheJasonSensation

TheJasonSensation New Member

So, I've decided I finally need to get a good pair of headphones/headset.

What I'm looking for:
    circumaural
    surround sound
    price range $100 - $150 (65 -100 GBP) preferred (will go up to $200 (130 GBP) if it is really worth it)
    detachable microphone if headset
    little sound bleeding (so not too open)

I will be using this for gaming and brainwave entrainment (for meditation), and am willing to go with the best option in my specified price range, be it headset or headphones. If it is a headset, I would prefer one with a detachable microphone so it could double as headphones. The headset with detachable microphone would be my ideal scenario. However, if just a set of headphones in this range is way better, I can just do that and get a clip-on microphone.

I have done some research and my interest has sparked somewhat on the ath-m50's and the Sony Pulse. From what I have read, the m50's have the best sound quality in this price range, but the Pulse's have better bass and are actually a headset. I also happen to have a ps3 which the Pulse works well with. This, however, is mere coincidence and is unrelated to my interest in this headset. I am also open to anything anyone thinks is better for this price range. I know there are a lot of things to consider for what I am looking for. I looked at that gaming headphone guide and it seems that some headphones offer a much better competitive advantage than others so this is something to consider. I also wish to get the best effect for the brainwave entrainment. I'm not sure what variables effect that.

Does anyone have any suggestions on whether I should go with either of these two or something else entirely?

Thank you

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

This DT770 is a highly regarded headphone (I have one), and the standard edition uses velour earpads. I have heard that you can also order pleather pads that improve the sound for some users (order as option from Beyerdynamic?)

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones (DT 770) - Professional Studio

This M50 is everything they say (everything good) (I have one), and I doubt you would be disappointed with it.

Audio Technica ATH-M50 Professional Closed Back Monitor Headphones with Coiled C

This German Maestro 8.35D (which I also have) is beyond what you want to spend, but I thought you might be interested anyway because, 1) It's virtually indestructible, 2) The sound is better than the other 2 (i.e. audiophile quality sound) and, 3) You get a lot more for your money.

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Back Studio Headphones

3. TheJasonSensation

Thank you for your reply. I have an update an a few additional questions.

I tried my friend's pair of ath-m50's yesterday, and I was very impressed with the way electronic music and classic 80's sounded on them, but bassy songs were nothing special. This is confusing as everything I seem to read about them says the bass is good. Is this because they are closed and don't deliver a good soundstage and that the base is good for closed but doesn't compare to open? I've never had quality headphones before, so I'm not so sure about this. Also, I wasn't impressed with songs like "Some Nights" by F.U.N. Again I am a newbie, but this is a very treble dependent song, correct? If I wanted to get headphones with better bass and treble, would I be sacrificing the quality of the electronic music to gain this?

Also, for the ones you listed, only the DT770's say surround sound in the review. Does this mean the other two do not offer it or just didn't point it out?

How would you compare the DT770's to the pro models of the 880's and 990's? And then to the GermanMaestro's? Would you say all are better than the ath-m50's?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

BASS is recorded differently for each recording made. Nobody does it exactly the same as anyone else. Even the same companies record differently at different times. If you want to have just one headphone that plays pretty well with all recordings, you have to choose a headphone with "neutral" bass. The German Maestro is very close to that and the Soundmagic HP100 is closer yet.

Bass and treble are natural components of what we hear in music. There's no such thing as a variation of treble or bass in real life, so if you want something to favor (bias) its bass and treble to suit one particular type of music, you should get a headphone specifically matched to that type of music.

One person who posts here (name is Quadpatch) has reviews of those headphones at a site named NobleHiFi (you can google it), so check out that site and he will explain those differences in much better detail than I can.

5. TheJasonSensation

I looked at his blog. There were some very helpful reviews on there. Thank you. I have become interested in the sound magic headphones after looking through his reviews. I'm probably going to go with either a beyer DT, or a soundMAGIC, whatever I determine is the best for gaming.

I have a question about virtual surround sound though, can all of these headphones do it or do some need some sort of surround sound amp? How does that work?

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I've been using a number of headphones for a lot of years, but have never heard of surround sound for headphones. It must be a simulation of some kind because there's no way to feed 4 or more channels into 2 ears like you can with front and rear loudspeakers. Wherever you get that surround sound from, be sure to check the specifications carefully to see how it's implemented.

7. TheJasonSensation

Yes, is virtual. I think the DT's use dolby digital and ultrasones use S-Logic, but I'm not sure if they do this by themselves or not.

8. TheJasonSensation

Hey, I just saw your review of the soundMAGIC HP100's on amazon and then I found your video review on youtube. Both were great. Very informative!

However, this does incite a question. I am curious as to why you recommended me the DT 770 pro 80 ohm over the soundMAGIC HP100 when in your video you said they were the "best bargain I've ever seen." Both cans are $200 and appear to be similar according to a few reviews I have read. Like are the 770's slightly better for gaming perhaps?

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I'm not sure how I could recommend the 770-32 or 80 ohms for portraits and etc. - must have had a few too many Johnny Walkers that night. In any case, the DT770 sound is dark, dark, .... and the HP100 sound is quite neutral. The HP100 does match the bass power of the DT770 without giving off any hints of being bassy or dark. And I tend to prefer dark personally, but I don't recommend that sort of bias unless the customer indicates that as a preference.

10. TheJasonSensation

I've ordered the HP100 today. Thank you for your help.