Hearing Issues

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Philla Moore, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Philla Moore

Philla Moore New Member

My mother is 88 and has fairly poor hearing, particularly in the high range. She has always loved classical music, but complains that it now sounds tinny. Are there any headphones that could help her?

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Philla

I'm sorry to hear your Mums hearing is not what it used to be - this comes to us all eventually although not always in the same way. She has obviously lost a bit of the bottom end of the frequency spectrum and in truth nothing will entirely compensate but some headphones have a warmer (more bass) sound signature and accentuating this will lead to a bit more comfort in her listening.

Would she like full size headphones? Can you give me a brief idea of your budget too:)

3. Philla Moore

Philla Moore New Member

I had assumed full size would be best. Budget is difficult because we need to be sure of a good result, but at the same time don't want to spend more than is necessary. I was hoping for under £100, but appreciate that that may not be possible. Is it possible to go and try out a range of different ones? She lives within reach of Salisbury and Winchester.

4. Philla Moore

Philla Moore New Member

My mum again!

Thanks for your help. I have just read yoour reply to someone who also has hearing problems. For him you recommended the Ultrasone HFI 780 at £159.95. Would that be suitable for my mother for listening to classical music or not. She watches quite a bit of TV and once she got used to them she might use them for that too. Can they be wireless or do they have to be plugged into whatever device is being used?

5. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Headphones for hearing issues

The Ultrasone HFI 780 is a good closed back headphone with a lot of clarity for sounds in the middle of the audible frequency range, i.e. speech. The closed back design helps boost sound pressure levels, as there is very little leakage out of the earcups.

Another couple of headphones worth considering are the Audio-Technica ATH-A500 and ATH-A700. Both of these headphones are closed back and have a forward midrange. They are also very comfortable. The only drawback with these headphones is that they are very large.

All of the above are wired, but can have cables extended with headphone extension leads. The Sennheiser headphone extension lead is very suitable as it also has a left/right balance control.