Hello, and advice please

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Denis99, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Denis99

Denis99 New Member

Hi,

I have just registered and I'm looking for some advice please?

I have an IMac and an Ipod touch.

Would like to get some equipment to make the sound quality better from the IMac and the Ipod.

I like a slightly warm sound, quite like female vocals and jazz, but listen to a wide range of music.

I think a portable amp & dac combo would fit for both the sources plus I'll need a pair of headphones.

I've got a healthy budget of £1,000 to get the right equipment - rather not get into upgrading after a short space of time - done that too many times before.

Regards

Denis

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

You mentioned portable, so I assumed closed-back headphones. Here's the HiFiHeadphones list, and the headphones I'm most familiar with are below £250 (Senn Momentum, KEF M500, Beyer T51p, Shure SRH940, and possibly Beyer DT1350 'refresh'), but I've been wanting a Beyer T70p for a long time too. My hesitation with the T70p is the treble, and if I spring for that headphone I may have to apply some EQ, but I know already from the DT1350 and T51p that the Tesla drivers are very revealing, EQ or no.

Closed Back Headphones

Here's the amps list with DACs. The first item is highly recommended by my sources. It's pricy, but if you can make the investment, I think it's the best bet. I had a v-moda verza for a few months which did the same thing, but it developed problems and when I save up enough my current target is the Theorem 720. Good luck!

Portable Headphone Amplifiers

3. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Denis99

Denis99 New Member

Hi John

Yes, that looks like a good solution.

I'm still considering whether its worth taking an alternative approach and buying the AK100 as my music carrier instead of the Ipod and choice of dac / amp.

The advantage of the Ipod is the user friendliness I suppose.

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

For me, the choice between i-device and a music player like the AK-series come down to maximum memory, ability to use playlists, and lastly sound. If you're going lossless on an i-device you have to account for the file sizes, as well as on the music player.