Help and advice with bluetooth headphones

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Lsakurifaisu, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Lsakurifaisu

Lsakurifaisu New Member

Hi, I just have a few queries regarding bluetooth headphones.

Firstly I was wondering if I could get some guidence in terms of specifications on headphones, e.g. How does the frequency affect the sound of headphones? Also how does the THD and SPL affect the sound quality of the headphones, and what sort of range should then be in for top quality sound? What type of bluetooth version should I currently look for, what is most upto date version?

The only other questions I really had was if there are any recommendations for Over ear bluetooth headphones?

Finally I found the Sennheiser PX 360 BT fit quite nicely, if not dead on for what I am looking for. Are they any good as I read one review which stated they are slightly smaller than they appear in the picture.
    Heres a link : Sennheiser UK - PX 360 BT

Thanks in advance :)

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Lsakurifaisu

Wireless technology is getting much better but it still has real drawbacks over a cable. If you need wireless headphones they are cheaper and digital wireless has come on leaps and bounds.

I want to mention the drawbacks first, not having a cable can be so liberating but a cable is a wonderfully simple, accurate and inexpensive way to transfer sound from one place to another. When you throw away the cable you cause several problems.

1-Power - Now you need batteries to power all the technology that is replacing that cable.

2-Receiving - So the sound must be decoded and played back and this has to happen instantly (you might want to watch a video file on your iPOD), speed equals more processing power which in turn means large battery drain. The only way to lower this need for power is by dropping sound quality so you are transferring less info.

3-Decoding - With digital wireless headphones (Kleer Audio or Bluetooth) the signal is being encoded and decoded again - quality is being lost here as the analogue to digital and then digital to analogue converters will not be of the highest standards due to cost.

4-Amplification - As the headphones cannot make use of the amplifier in your MP3 player the wireless headphones need one to perform the same job.

All this is much more expensive than a cable which means less money to spend on the most important bit, the driver units which actually make the sound. If sound quality is the most important thing then a cable is the way forward.

Having said that there are some great Bluetooth headphones on the market -

Jaybird SB2 Bluetooth Headphones Midnight Black (JB-SB2)
    £99.00

- These are great and have the new Apt-X Capability which is a higher quality transfer method raising transfer to near CD quality audio.

The Sennheiser PX360 BT is exactly the sort of thing you need to look at, Sennheiser have done a great job with their portable wireless range, these are actually not that big at all and are one of the best of their kind. Cheap Bluetooth headphones have no chance of satisfying you, get the best pair you can find otherwise it will feel like a massive compromise.

Good Luck:D

3. Lsakurifaisu

Lsakurifaisu New Member

Thanks for the advice :)

The reason I was chosing to go with Bluetooth is because I am under the impression that they are the best for portability. Am i right in saying that wireless headphones require a base station, so they can only in theory be used in a house or office? I thought that was the case and thats why i decided to have a look into bluetooth headsets :)

4. Lsakurifaisu

Lsakurifaisu New Member

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

This is correct. Most wireless headphones have a mains powered base station and cannot be considered portable. This is one of the few wireless headphones which is portable as the base station is small, battery operated and fits easily in a bag -

Sennheiser RS160 Wireless Headphones (RS 160 Wireless Headset)
    £109.96