Help ~ choosing a headphone amp...

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by alexcllui, Jun 16, 2012.

1. alexcllui

alexcllui New Member

Hi,

How are you?
    I'm currently using the Grado SR325is headphone at home.
    And thinking to buy a headphone amp to pair with it...
    I have few option in my list now and hope some expert in this forum can give me some advice in choosing which one to get...
    - Lehmann Audio Rhinelander Headphone Amplifier
    - Graham Slee Entheos Series Novo headphone amplifier
    - Musical Fadelity M1HPA

Can anyone tell me which one is the best to go?

Thanks...

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Looking at all three here, there's not a bad one in the bunch. The M1HPA and Lehmann I've heard good things about but don't have them. You didn't mention a DAC - I assume you'll use a good DAC with these? Do watch out for one thing - as your resolution increases, you'll hear more problems because the amps will reveal more and the 325is headphones also are tuned more toward the high end which will make them very sensitive to the slightest imperfections in your music. These amps are all solid state I think, and whichever amp is tuned to be more like a valve/tube amp will give better results with the Grado headphone.

Desktop Headphone Amplifiers

3. alexcllui

alexcllui New Member

Thanks dalethorn!

Actually I just bought the Grado SR325is headphone with Bravo V1 headphone amp a month ago.
    I changed the Original Bravo V1 tube from Electro Harmonic to Millard tube.
    At home I connect my iPhone to Fiio L3 to Bravo V1 than to my Grado headphone...
    Now I'm thinking to upgrade my headphone amp the one of the amp that I mention above...
    Since you're mention about a DAC...
    Can you recommend me any good iPhone/iPod dock to use with the headphone amp together?
    Or any cable from iPhone/iPod to the headphone amp direct?
    Thanks...

Happy Father's Day to those who already become father in the forum...!

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

You changed tubes already. That's outstanding! The iStreamer DAC is the perfect accessory for the iPhone and other i-devices. It comes with a Apple cable for digital out - you can use that OK. But you need a good hifi cable going from iStreamer's RCA output to headphone amp input. I think Audioquest has a good cable now for a decent price. Choose something as short as possible, like 1/2 metre. I don't know what sort of power filtering your amps use, but the iStreamer has an unusual power box and cable that works very well, and battery operation can be accomplished too.