Help choosing IEM's

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by X-Factor, Aug 14, 2012.

1. X-Factor

X-Factor New Member

Hi,

I must have some pretty strange requirements as I'm finding it pretty tricky to find anything that meets all of my requirements.

I'm looking for a set of Universal IEM's that can be worn "straight down", have replaceable cable and ideally have a microphone/button controls.

I've currently got VModa Vibe duo's which I quite like, even though they can be a bit too bassy if you get the proper seal. However they break pretty easily, and even though I've managed to rescue them a few time by soldering a new set of cables on I'm still on my third pair.

My choices appear pretty limited, I like the look of the Sleek Audio SA6R or SA7, these probably won't have the microphone and since it's been two years since they were announce they probably won't ever appear.

Briefly considered Panasonic HJE900's, but looks impossible to find in the UK and there's no microphone.

So I seem to be left with a set of Etymotic er-4p's, buy an adapter from hong kong to allow them to use westone cables and then buy the westone cable with microphone.

Just worried with this option that I'll end up paying a fortune for some frankenstien looking headphones and I might not get on with the "deep" seal required with them.

Do current Etymotic's still come with replaceable cables and is there any other options I should be considering?

I've no set budget but wouldn't want to go mad just to get replaceable cables.

Thanks

Jason

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I cannot think of a earphone which matches your requirements exactly. Most that are close are cable up designs or do not have a replaceable cable. Triple fi 10 vi is close I suppose, never tried to wear these cable down before though.

Although I have never removed the cable from an ER4P I am sure it is still removeable. Sorry to draw a blank on your earphone requirements.

3. X-Factor

X-Factor New Member

Thanks I've looked at the Triple vi and by all accounts they are probably too heavy for cable down wear. But glad ER4P's are still removeable, that sounds like my best option if I'm not willing to go with an overthe ear pair.

Thanks