help deciding :)

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by Thatsmatt, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Thatsmatt

Thatsmatt New Member

hi, im looking for portable headphones with great all round sound quality to fit all genres, i would like the benefit of the more accurate and natural sound from open backs but would need a good deal of isolation from closed, so any recommendations on closed back hp's that have sound close to the benefits that open's give? anything from £100-£200 and can afford slightly higher.. ive been interested in momentums but what other alternatives can i look to? thanks

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Starting with this list, sorted by price, those that I'm most familiar with that meet the target of "all around" good for most genres of music as well as having a spacious sound that gets close to open-back sound with reasonable isolation, here's what I suggest and why:

The Soundmagic HP100: Very neutral with a solidly strong deep bass and great resolution plus spacious sound.

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro: A softer and slightly darker sound than the HP100, so it's more forgiving of peaky music tracks, otherwise a great all-arounder of high quality, with a unique feature of an adjustable bass port.

German Maestro 8.35D: Similar to the HP100, but a slightly darker sound, and a very industrial build that takes more getting used to than other headphones. Very, very durable.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-ohm: Similar to the German Maestro 8.35D and Custom One Pro, but with a stronger treble. Very high resolution.

Closed Back Headphones

3. Thatsmatt

Thatsmatt New Member

thanks, i forgot to mention that these are going to be for portable use, and with a mobile phone + amp, would all these be classed as portable, and would an amp be needed for for each one?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The term portable is nebulous - these can be but are not ideal being full size. The Senn Momentum or Momentum On Ear are good choices, but each gives up some of that ultimate sound you might want. The larger Momentum is a more even, classic kind of sound, while the On-Ear is more bass-oriented.

Edit: Amps aren't needed, but may improve the sound in quiet settings.

5. Thatsmatt

Thatsmatt New Member

yeah, then again i don't really care too much about how i look with full size hp's now thinking about it lol, and wouldnt i need an amp for to drive the 80ohm beyers since im using a phone? what about the ath m50's?

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

If you use a DT770 for portable use, get the new 32-ohm version that's based on last year's 88th anniversary edition. Amp not required. Note that the extra fine detail the amp provides won't be heard or appreciated in noisy environments, regardless of the closed design. Note too that the M50 is far below the DT770 in fidelity, especially the all-important midrange.

7. Thatsmatt

Thatsmatt New Member

ah, i didn't know there was a 32ohm edition, didn't see them on amazon lol, might look inot that, thanks :)

8. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Thatsmatt,

If you want a smaller sized headphone then I would personally go for the Momentum On-Ear. For a larger (but not too big) headphone the Custom One Pro is a great choice!

Both can be driven easily by a portable device - having an amp will be a bonus :)

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I can second that - I have a few months' experience with both and love 'em.