Help for the Deaf!!!

Discussion in 'Headphone Amplifiers' started by Kayseypops, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Kayseypops

Kayseypops New Member

I have a pair of wireless headphones but when I plug them into the phono socket on the TV it cuts the sound off for my wife. It has been suggested that I plug into the red and white sockets on the TV instead of the phono socket but the signal from there is not strong enough. I have been told that an amplifier between the red and white sockets feeding into a phono socket into which I then plug my earphones would solve the problem. Where would I buy such an amplifier?

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

A simple headphone amp like this will probably work, but you need to match the output terminals on the TV with the input terminals on the headphone amp, and also be sure that your wireless headphone will plug into the headphone output of the headphone amp. Usually these things are pretty simple, but getting the right cable is frustrating sometimes, so a little research is necessary to determine the output of the TV and the connector/terminal types, etc.

FiiO E09K High Fidelity Desktop Headphone Amplifier in Black

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Great answer Dale!

Hi Kayseypops,

If your wireless headphones are set up to take a line level signal they may only need a cable that will solve connecting the RCA to the wireless headphones. If you have a device which can take an optical signal and the TV has an optical out then you could also experiment with that to see if you could get even cleaner sound to the headphones. It's worth doing a bit of experimenting to get the best sound you can if you have hearing difficulties.

4. Sunnyday

Sunnyday New Member

re help for deaf

Hi Kayseypops.

Saw this was an older post but in case you haven't yet found a solution though I would post a reply. I am partially deaf too and had the same problem since our TV jack socket if used cuts the sound for other listeners and didn't give loud enough sound anyway. We now use this TV headphone amplifier from Redwhizz Redwhizz Digi-Whizz TV headphone amplifier that plugs into the TV's optical or coaxial digital outputs and gives me amplified sound through my headphones but lets everyone else watch at normal sound levels. The sound quality is really good and it costs under £60.