Help: In-ear Headphones for Under £50 - Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by andylaw31, Feb 21, 2012.

1. andylaw31

andylaw31 New Member

Hi there,

I'm currently looking at replacing my Sennheiser MX560s that I've had for about four years. I'm looking for a pair of in-ear headphones for under £50 and sound quality is my main concern. I had the impression that Sennheiser were the best bet in terms of brand, but after searching around the web I'm now not so sure; I've come up with a rather large list of recommendations from various sites.

The following have cropped in as suggestions (I tried to limit my searches to posts from the last year where possible):

Brainwavz M2
    Digital Silence DS101-A
    Jays a-JAYS Four
    Jays a-JAYS One+
    Jays a-JAYS Three
    Klipsch Image S3
    MEElectronics SP51P
    Nocs NS200
    Plantronics BackBeat 903+
    Sennheiser CX300-II Precision
    Sennheiser CX310 Originals
    Sennheiser OCX 880
    Skullcandy 50/50
    SoundMagic E10
    SoundMagic E30
    V-Moda Remix Remote

Further Information

I mainly use my headphones walking to and from various places - at home I play my music out loud - and occasionally sitting down in public places, but never whilst exercising.

The genre I listen to most is Hip Hop, but not necessarily modern popular Hip Hop, more like a mix of The Roots, OutKast, Erykah Badu, Speech Debelle and classics like A Tribe Called Quest - occasionally Eminem and similar. I also listen to a fair bit of Funk and Jazz (e.g. Maceo Parker or Herbie Hancock), experimental stuff like Gnarls Barkley and Gorillaz (also Q-Tip's 'Kamaal The Abstract' album), a little bit of Dance / Disco (e.g. Chic), Soul (e.g. John Legend and some laid back stuff like Jack Johnson and Jason Mraz.

So, can anyone offer me any advice as to which are going to be the best out of these, or am I missing a better one for under £50?

Thanks in advance,
    Andy

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Andy,

I would knock out quite a few from this list as they are just not as good as some of the others whilst being quite similar. Some of them are simply less applicable to your tastes or not really value for money.

Brainwavz M2
    Jays a-JAYS Four
    MEElectronics SP51P
    Nocs NS200
    SoundMagic E10

These are all good, it would be really hard to tell you which ones you would like the most but I think you would really appreciate any of them. I hope this helps by narrowing down the choice:)