Help in selecting some IEM

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by Kirilov, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Kirilov

Kirilov New Member

Hello everyone,

I have to admit I am more than a newbi on this subject and I would very much appreciate your help.

I currently have some shure that I bought 2 years ago for about 150 euros. Unfortunately the cable is now damaged and it is time to replace them!

Regarding the usage, I have an ipod with all kind of music (jazz, soul, pop, rock, ...) and it is important for me to get a model that will accomodate well for all kinds of music. I listen to music everyday in the bus or when travelling. A headphone is therefore not really convenient. Also, I need my iem to be resistant as I will use them very frequently and might have the time to carefully replace them in their box (yet I understand that a quality product needs to be taken care of ;-) )

My budget is between 100 to 200 euros (can go up to 250 if there is a significant difference from one model to another).

Following a link from one of the administrator of this site listing the 10 best iem, I thought I would try the Sleek Audio SA6 as they seem to match my request but they are not available anymore.
    The klipsch Image X5 also seem to be appropriate but the comment about the noise transmiting up the cable made me a little uneasy.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

PS: I don't mind waiting a few months for a new model coming out that will fit my needs.

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Choosing IEMs

Below are some ideas:

Phonak Audeo PFE - very comfortable, lightweight IEM using a single wideband balanced armature. The sound has all the refinement of the Sleek Audio SA6, with the same benefits of being able to tune the sound.

Westone UM2 - dual balanced armature drivers with chunkier bass response than the PFE, but plenty of detail also. Very robustly made with replaceable cables.

3. Kirilov

Kirilov New Member

Many thanks for your help. It is very helpful to narrow down the search to 2 IEMs in this jungle :)