Help Matching headphones Spec

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by uguay, Jan 27, 2014.

1. uguay

uguay New Member

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on headphones. I use them to listen to mp3's and tube on the laptop and the TV at night and gaming. I have a habit of getting the cables caught up, loosening the wires or bending the jack, meaning I have to replace them from time to time. Because of this I tend to get fairly basic relatively inexpensive sets.

I usually buy the Panasonic RP-HTF350E-N Monitor Headphones (originally made by Technics) which were really great sound quality for the money but it appears this product is now discontinued and impossible to procure. I used to be able to get them from Amazon for about £15 which was great. I guess I just struck lucky with the sound quality when I originally picked those up, not knowing about anything technical. Anyway, I searched around for a comparable product and eventually opted for the Panasonic RP-HT225 model, which having a similar product code and being of similar price, (albeit slightly less) I'd hoped the headphones would perform similarly. Unfortunately as it turned out this simply wasn't the case, the sound quality is diabolical compared to the 350's.

When I search I get bamboozled by the choice and everyone seems to have a different idea about what's good, but I'm at the stage where ideally I don't want to just speculate more money on a set hoping they come through and sound as good as the HTF350's. When I look at model specs they don't mean a lot to me. I've mailed Panasonic sales a couple of times to see if they can tell me which in their range is the closest to the 350's spec, or if there is a replacement model per se, but I don't hear back.

To cut to the chase I could really use some help/advice from someone versed in headphone specs and able to match. Primarily I'm hoping someone could recommend any headphones that have a similar spec to the RP-350's (which I'll post below) and would be sincerely grateful for any info. I don't mind paying up to about £50 if needs be. Alternatively any general recommendations for decent sounding headphones up to £50 would also be handy.

Spec for Panasonic RP-HTF350E-N Monitor Headphones;
    (Panasonic) Single-Side Monitoring Stereo Headphones (RP-HTF350) Ideal for DJ use, sound monitoring headphones with reversible earcup for easy single sided monitoring, incorporates in-line volume control with an Extra Bass System. Features: - . - XBS (extra bass system) port boosts low frequencies. - Neodymium rare earth magnet for rich and powerful sound with CCAW voice coil. - Single-side monitoring. - Gold plated plug. - 6.3mm plug adaptor. - Driver Units: 40mm. - Impedance: 404ohm. - Sensitivity: 102dB/mw. - Power Handling Capacity: 1000mW. - Frequency Response:10Hz - 27kHz. - Cord: 3m (9.8ft) - Plug: 3.5mm.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

In case anyone who knows more than I do (and I know almost nothing about gaming) doesn't answer this soon, here's a list of headphones that are specifically made for gaming:

Computer & Gaming Headphones for PC, Mac, Xbox 360, Playstation 360, Wii or PSP

And here are the general-purpose closed-back headphones sorted by lowest price first. I would highly recommend the Sennheiser HD429 or Fostex TH-7BB, for music listening as well. Please submit any further questions you have. As a general rule I have, I avoid the real "bargains" in low-priced headphones outside of this list, since the sound becomes unpredictable from sample to sample.

Closed Back Headphones

3. uguay

uguay New Member

I really appreciate the advice and links. I don't think I need specific gaming headphones as I split pretty evenly with TV and music too. I'd take your advice on the 'real bargains'. The Fostex's say all rounder which I spose would be ideal. I've decided I prefer single side cable though. I like the look of the Sennheisers and the brand has been recommended to me before by a friend. They look good and they seem to have an emphasis on the magnets and bass performance which I think will suit me, the Panasonics I liked but can no longer get had an XBS bass feature. They seem more music orientated though from the spec but hopefully there ok 'all round' . All things considered I think the HD429's will go top of the list. Thanks again.

4. uguay

uguay New Member

I really appreciate the advice. I don't think I need specific gaming headphones as I tend to split my time pretty evenly with TV and music as well. I'd certainly take your advice on the 'real bargains' as that seems to be the way. The Fostex's are described as an 'all rounder' which I spose would be ideal now I've thought about it. I've decided I prefer single side cable though. I really like the look of the Sennheisers, the brand has been recommended to me before. They look good and they seem to have an emphasis on the magnets and bass performance which I think will suit me. The Panasonics I liked but can no longer get hold of had an XBS bass feature so that's attractive . They seem more music orientated though from the spec but hopefully they'd be ok 'all round' , as it were. All things considered I think the HD429's will go top of the list. I see they also do an HD439 model as well for a few quid more which will give me a decision. Thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  5. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

I would certainly say that either the Fostex or HD429s would be a good choice.. The HD429 will give you more bass.

I don't have any experience with the HD439 so I can't say if they are worth the extra money... They do seem very good on paper though :)

6. uguay

uguay New Member

Thought I'd just give y'all an update on this.

I've decided on the Sennheiser 439's for a number of reasons. Sennheiser are a household name now and seem to come pretty much universally recommended. The Germans are well known for efficiency and quality in regard to technological capability. And as mentioned previously the emphasis on smooth base was quite important personally.

Reasons for going for the 439's rather than 429's was a number of things. Firstly, the design of the set is slightly more attractive overall imo, including the 'moulding'. More importantly. The spec is slightly superior, namely the frequency range and sound pressure level. The ear coverings are 'breathable material' type rather than the leather type on the 429's, which is something else I preferred about the Panasonics. Most importantly, with the 439's you get a choice of two different length detachable cables. Which means they jack into the headset and so any yanking would most likely result in jack bending at either end (which would be replaceable) rather than having to contend with jack bending one end and the loosening of fine wires inside a sealed unit the other, as before, both of which meaning having to replace the whole set each time. Ideal for muppets like me. The 439's are only a fiver or so more expensive than the 429's so It's a no-brainer really.

Again, I really appreciate the advice I got here or I wouldn't have got this far. Sorted.

7. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Glad to have helped. Enjoy your new cans :)