help me identify this 80s headphone

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by Rick_Blaine, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Rick_Blaine

Rick_Blaine New Member

My name is Frank and I am from the Netherlands. For a friend I am looking for the make and model of this 1980s portable, as featured in a brochure for the Lancia Thema 8.32 (the one with the Ferrari engine). I have tried other forum and hifi experts, Google images and all kinds of eBay sites, but to no avail. Can somebody here help me out? Thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

It looks like one of the headphones included with the 80's Walkman-type cassette players. Could be Sony, or ten other brands. There's lettering on the earcup facing the camera, if you could get a better copy of the photo it might be readable with some enhancement.

Edit: I bought a lot of headphones from the late 70's onward, and this does not look like a mid-to-high-end headphone - it looks like a Walkman headphone.

3. Rick_Blaine

Rick_Blaine New Member

Thank you Dale. I really want to find this item, no matter what the quality is, because my friend want to collect all original factory accessories for his Lancia. He just purchased the panel between the seats where he can adjust the original radio (like shown in the picture) and I know he would very much like to have the same headphones as in the picture make his car complete. Defect or bad quality is no objection :)

Unfortunately I haven't found anything yet. The Koss Porta Pro does have the same vintage look but it's not the same and therefore not an option. I hoped it could be a Grado, which has some of the same looks, but I'm affraid it isn't.

4. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Like Dale says it looks like the headphones that came with the Walkman Pro (the one that recorded and was used by journalists). The ones that I have seen are a very similar shape but the arms that connect to the cups tend to be dark blue. Could be a varient, any other pictures that could be blown up to get a closer look?

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Was there a brand name for the radio in the car?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  6. Rick_Blaine

Rick_Blaine New Member

Yes, this is a Blaupunkt unit. It has a connection for the remote control panel in the back (as seen on the picture) but I believe the headphones are not supplied with it but are shown for illustration purposes. I don't believe Blaupunkt made these headphones (I couldn't find them).

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I did some google searches and found Blaupunkt as the likely radio, but so far I don't know for sure that headphones were issued with it. I suppose the headphone plug-in port is a clue? In the U.S. where I am, any sort of headphone jack in a front-seat radio would have been a no-no at that time due to laws against headphone use while driving. Then again, we had laws against TV etc. screens in view of the driver, yet today the GPS and other things are almost as big as home TV's of a few years ago.

8. Rick_Blaine

Rick_Blaine New Member

The headphones could only be plugged in in the remote panel for the back passengers. This remote panel was an optional extra for the car, but the Blaupunkt radio has a connection for this panel as standard (at the back). Maybe some kind of DIN connector, I don't know.

As far as I know, the Lancia Thema was never sold in the US.

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

10. Rick_Blaine

Rick_Blaine New Member

I know this site, thank you. Blaupunkt doesn't have any headphones in their programme, and I've tried a lot of other makes as well. No success though.

11. Rick_Blaine

Rick_Blaine New Member

No other tips here, then?

12. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I think finding someone on any forum who knows what this is is going to be a one-in-a-million shot. I tried expert searches on several terms, because it's good practice for other things. Now assuming the headphones were really associated with the radio/stereo set (not assured from everything I read on the stereo mfr.), getting to a forum for those stereos seems like the most likely route. Head-fi dot org is the biggest of the big for headphone forums, so if nobody there knows anything, the smaller forums are far less likely.

In the searches, I did get a sense that there were thousands of times more entries for those old Blaupunkt stereos than for old headphones, so that's why I suspected those forums might have something.

13. Rick_Blaine

Rick_Blaine New Member

I'm pretty sure that the headphones are not "connected" to the Blaupunkt stereo equipment that was standard issue in the Lancia Thema 8.32 I tried Head Fi already before I got here. I know that there must be thousands of these kinds of headphones produced in the eighties, I just hoped someone would recognize them or the features.

14. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Some of the grizzled old guys who have headphone hobby forums might be a good source too. Head-case dot org I think is one, ComputerAudiophile dot com is another, and RockGrotto dot Proboards dot com is a third.

15. Rick_Blaine

Rick_Blaine New Member

Thank you for the tips, Dale. I will give them a try.

16. Rick_Blaine

Rick_Blaine New Member

17. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member