help me out buying headphones!

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by MusicLover09, Apr 16, 2013.

1. MusicLover09

MusicLover09 New Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Ok my budget is £90-200

I am looking for headphones to use at home 9/10 times for

Im not really bothered about open or closed or anything like that, ill be using them at home.

Main reason: Lossless Music Listening(i also like recording guitar and mixing songs, and watching movies (DTS and Dolby Digital sound but this is rare)

Im looking for something that is bass friendly but not unnecessarily overpowered (Dre Beats are god awful with their over enthusiastic bass), with clarity on high treble and mids, so nothing too flat.

My pc set up is: SB Audigy Soundcard

Would i need to also buy a portable headphone amplifier? Would the Fiio E7 make a good choice? or would my SB Audigy soundcard be sufficient enough?

The music i listen to is: 60s-2000 Rock (heavy, slow, country, folk etc), a lot of Hip Hop, a lot of house music etc My favourite artists and bands are: The beatles, rolling stones, pink floyd, bob dylan, daft punk, sigur ros, acdc, soundtracks from TV shows etc
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi MusicLover09

You don't need to buy a headphone amplifier if you go for something that is easy to drive. The SoundBlaster Audigy Soundcard has a reasonable DAC chip so you can concentrate on the headphones first and think about a better DAC amp later on. Direct from this soundcard the best choice at the moment would almost certainly be -

SoundMAGIC HP200 Open Back Hi-Fi Headphones (HP-200)

Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium Semi-Open Headphones 32Ω

I have always loved the DT880 and this 32ohm version is the right one to go for without a reasonably powerful amp but I think the HP200 just beats it with slightly more gutsy bottom end and a better grasp of dynamics. Read a review here.:)
  3. MusicLover09

MusicLover09 New Member

Apr 16, 2013
    would you have any options that range from 100-190? 200 and above is abit too much for me at the moment :(
  4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    Open Back Headphones

There are several here - if you see something interesting, just ask...
  5. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Hi MusicLover09

There are some great headphones below the £200 price mark. If you are interested in an open back design then take a look at these:

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 Open Back Hi-Fi Headphones (AD 700)

They are very natural sounding and versatile headphone, great for listening to all types of music. The one thing to take into consideration is the way they fit. They don't have much of a clamping force as they rest on the head, so they are more suited for using sitting down.

If you would be happy to go for a closed back headphone then you will have more choice under £200, and you will still be able to get a great sound. Here are a few that I would recommend:

Shure SRH940 Professional Closed Back Headphones (SRH 940)

A neutral headphone with well detailed highs and accurate bass.

SoundMAGIC HP100 Closed Back Headphones (HP-100)

Sparkly highs and full bass, great soundstage too.

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Headphones

Almost indestructible. Punchy sound with great detail, also has very good isolation.