Help me please

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Midlife crisis, May 14, 2015.

1. Midlife crisis

Midlife crisis New Member

I like a wide range of music and do appreciate good quality production and a sense I am hearing what the artist and producer wanted me to hear. I have over ear phones at home to use with my "expensive" hi fi....but I now don't drive to work...I get the train....I would like a pair of in ear phones that are comfy and engaging....

I don't have unlimited budget but could for the right pair go up to £400....my question is....as I have an iPhone 6 with main listening on highest download setting of spotify....at what point will the quality of the earphones show up the limit of the iPhone and spotify?

I won't upgrade player to a hi quality digital player....I won't want fiddling about with headphone amp....which may only make limits even more exposed....

So where would you say limit would be?

As I said I do like lots of music...dance...acoustic...ambient...rock....choral....folk....classical....so they have to be good around....would be nice to have deeeeep low bass....but soundstage and clarity is key....

What makes things worse is you can't demo these little buggers....so rely on other people's views...lol...

And the choice is quite vast....and would feel really cheated if a £100 pair were only minutely worse than £300 pair...if you know what I mean....

So would really appreciate your advice....

Paul

2. Midlife crisis

Hmmmm

So there have been 14 views and no one had any sage advise?

But more concerning is no advice back from shop?

...I am genuinely thinking of a purchase....is business that good?

So once more with feeling? Any advice please!!

3. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The B&O H6 is flat-out good - very comfy, isolates very well, is well made and looks great, different color choices, etc. I have a review posted here. In fact, on my dalethorn website I have 129 reviews posted, many of which are sold here. The H6 is a good match to Spotify. If you wanted to go beyond that, to best possible CD-quality sound or high-res downloads, with the clearest and most neutral headphone and appropriate amp, you would have to spend several times more. So if you need more info feel free to ask.

4. Midlife crisis

Many thanks for reply...I was specifically after in ear....any thoughts on best in that category?

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I've had several of the ones they sell here. Any that look interesting to you?

6. Midlife crisis

Fidue a83 is looking favourite but previously spent no more than £40 on buds....so £270 on ones I have not heard...is a leap.

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I'm not familiar with Fidue. Maybe the guys at headfonia can tackle that one. I had the Senn IE800 (marvelous), the FI-BA-SS (amazing), several of the RHA's, several Soundmagics, the B&O H3 (very nice), etc.

8. Midlife crisis

What are the F1-Ba-ss? And which was best sounding? And do you think that they would be worthy of outlay to play music off iPhone ??

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

They are $1500 USD and extremely bright. For less than a grand you could get the Senn IE800, which is the best earphone I've ever heard.

10. Midlife crisis

Unfortunately as I said in original post...I can at most only go to £400.

I can see I am just going to have to try some if I can or buy them and agree some sort of return if I am not happy.

It is absolutely bizarre you can't return these things, even if you use your own tips to try them.

Regards

Paul

11. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The B&O H3 I really liked. I gave it to one of the Apple reps last year and he took it on a trip to Burma and Nepal. He said it was perfect the whole time, and he loved the sound.