help me with new headphones:)

Discussion in 'Full Size Headphones' started by danilzzz, Sep 27, 2012.

1. danilzzz

danilzzz New Member

I want to buy new heaphones, but i can't decide,which i want.
    requirements:
    1.Price 100pounds +-30p.
    2.Most of the time i use ipod classic, so i want headphones, which are best for ipod.
    3.Genre:Rock,hard rock,alt. rock, blues.
    4.i don't have space for flac,so i use 320 mp3:(

ps:eek:r maybe i should buy amp under the 100 pounds, like SoundMAGIC A10 or Fiio E11(by the way,which is better?) and headphones?...but i think i'll need the headphones>200pounds?

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

4. danilzzz

danilzzz New Member

i think i can spend more than 100pounds, so let's say my budget less than 200pounds, so maybe you have other variants.

and how about amp?is there any meaning to buy amp, if i use ipod?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  5. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

The three that I mention above do not really require an amp - you always stand a chance of improving the sound by adding an amp to the chain but if it isn't necessary you may just be cluttering up the signal path and adding distortion. If you went for 80 or 250ohm beyers you would really need an amp.

6. danilzzz

danilzzz New Member

i think i'll buy Audio-Technica ATH-M50.
    thank you very much:)

7. martin_s

martin_s New Member

Beyer or Shure

Hi there.

Just noticed this thread as I have been trying to decide between the Shure SRH840 and Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones. Does anyone have experience of both? Is one 'better' than the other?

Many thanks
    Martin

8. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Or SoundMAGIC HP100

You might also want to check out the SoundMAGIC HP100.

This review of the HP100 and also this review of the HP200 might help as they give some good comparisons with the headphones you are looking at.

9. martin_s

martin_s New Member

Thanks Shaun. That has made the decision even harder!

I must say though that some of the reviews I have read on the Shures have been quite spectacular and there is also a group test on Youtube where they beat all of the others they are put up against so it is very tempting just to go with them.

Also, does spending more give a really noticeable increase in quality? Can something like the 840's really be bettered by a significant margin by, say, a Sennheiser HD650? (I choose these as some many seem to rave about them!)

Thanks,
    Martin

10. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Well, I knew the Shure 840 was pretty good, but I didn't know it was that good. Anyway, going from the 840 to the Soundmagic HP100 is going from decent mid-fi to one of the best high fidelity headphones I know of. The price is kinda misleading, but the physical quality and sound are for real.

11. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'll have to agree with the above comments - The HP100s are quite possibly the best in their price range!

As for comparing the Shure 840s to the HD650s - They are 2 very different headphones with their own sound, so to say one is better than the other would be wrong. It's more about whether you prefer the sound you are getting. A headphone being more expensive than another doesn't necessarily mean it's better for you.

12. Lesknowsbest1978

Lesknowsbest1978 New Member

Sennheiser or Grado

If Sennheiser HD650s are a bit much, check out the Sennheiser HD 558s. They are a bit on the bulky side, so if you want some headphones for out and about then the Sennheiser HD 25-1 IIs are a safe bet, and offer pretty good sound insulation and they're much lighter. Grado SR125is are also worth a look. You cant go wrong with those two makes.

13. 24bit

24bit New Member