Help needed to find closed back headphones plz!

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by mightyrod, Dec 7, 2011.

1. mightyrod

mightyrod New Member

Hi, im totally new with headphones and dont know where to start? I want some good ones to listen to hip/hop and RnB and I LIKE MY BASE. Woz gona go for beats pros but peeps told me i can get alot better for alot less. Id guess anywhere up to £300 and ive seen the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Back Headphones 80Ω but would really like a prof opinon as for home use and i didnt even know you could get mini amps for them. Please help. Thanx

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Mightyrod

This is a nice and simple one! I would go for these -

Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)
    £149.95

The DT770 is a great headphone but harder to drive (I would get an Amp even with the 80ohm version) and although it has great bass response, they have smaller bass and are a lot less portable than the SRH840. These ones can be driven easilt from an MP3 player so no amp necessary:D

3. mightyrod

mightyrod New Member

Thanx for the reply, so u wouldnt recommend beats. ive heard many mixed reviews?

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Beats?

Beats are more fashionable, but you get less quality sound and build for more money, unless you buy the top of the line Beats Pro, in which case you still pay more, but you get a better headphone.

5. mightyrod

mightyrod New Member

I must admit the Shure SRH840 dnt look as good but im nt gona sit there and look at them all day

6. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

I'm with Dale on this - The Beats are not truely awful, just not good value for money at all - The Shure SRH840 have better sound and build quality but are cheaper. Shure genuinely make equipment used in the recording industry - Monster make overpriced cable.

If you want to be seen in the Beats though, there is only one pair for you! They are definitely fashionable:)