Help on what headphones to pick.

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Tokmaz, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Tokmaz

Tokmaz New Member

Hi

I am looking for some full size headphones for use for gaming and my ipod. But I am not too sure what headphone is best for this. I am hoping to spend under £150. I am also not sure whether open or closed is better.

I listen to all kinds of music so I am looking for headphones which can handle a lot of variety and power.

I really am new to this and would love some recommendations.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Tom

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Tokmaz

If you want to take them out with you, or travel or indeed commute, you really need a closed back pair. Open backs are for at home really, as they spill a lot of noise you would be very unpopular on the bus or train.

have a look at these -

Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)
    £149.95

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Headphones
    £159.00

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £134.95

Ultrasone HFI-780 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 780)
    £159.95

I have arranged them from the darkest (bassiest) to the brightest (less bass more treble)

They are all comfortable and easy to transport and quite tough too. They share a sound which works well for contemporary music but will work with different genres.

Feel free to ask more about the models which you think may suit you:D

3. Tokmaz

Tokmaz New Member

Hi again,

Thank you so much for the help, just one more thing, what do you think is the best of the lot, also considering I do not really want a massive cable and that my previous set was some sennheiser HD 448s, but I was really disappointed with their lack of power and volume when playing off a iPod, so am looking for something with a little more umph.

Thanks again in advance,

Tom

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  4. RobinHiFi

Tell me about your favourite music - Let me know your favourite genres and Artists and I will let you know which I think fits best. Ultimately, the best headphone is the one you like the most - this will be different from other peoples preferences as we all perceive sound slightly differently:)

5. Tokmaz

Tokmaz New Member

Thanks for coming back so quickly,

I listen to all kinds of stuff, from Eminem to My Chemical Romance with everything it between, so really I'm looking for something that does everything, has a shorter cable and is more powerful than HD488s on an ipod.

Sorry for being so difficult and for the help.

6. RobinHiFi

Go For the SRH840 or the ATH M50 as these have the best feel for contemporary Pop, Rock and Rap. Technically the SRH840 is a bit better when you compare the build quality. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the M50 but the SRH840 does go much further with its replaceable cable and virtually indestructible headband.

7. Tokmaz

Tokmaz New Member

thank you for all your help!

8. RobinHiFi

No Problem!:)

9. Tokmaz

Tokmaz New Member

hi, sorry to bother you again,

I was wondering what you would suggest if the situation was the same, but I could only spend around £60. I've looked into it, what is your opinion on things like Creative Aurvana Live! or Aerial7 Chopper 2?
    I have also done some looking into my HD448s, everyone else thinks they are incredible except me, is their anyway to increase their volume output on ipods?

Thank you

10. RobinHiFi

The Creative Aurvana Liveis supposed to be pretty nice for the money but I have not tried these. The Aerial7 Chopper 2 I found a little underwhelming as they are a common OEM design but just branded up. The Aerial7 stuff I have tried which is chunkier I was a little more pleased with - better value for money.

Volume output is low because iPods are not very powerful - It isn't really the headphones fault. have a look at these which are headphone amps, designed to boost the outtput of your player so it can drive bigger headphones -

FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier in Black
    £16.99

FiiO E11 Headphone Amplifier in Black (E-11)
    £40.00

SoundMAGIC A10 Portable Headphone Amplifier in Black
    £64.96