Help please with headphone choice

Discussion in 'Portable Headphones & Earphones' started by andy19_64, Mar 22, 2013.

1. andy19_64

andy19_64 New Member

i have decided that i would like to buy a set of headphones as i just cannot get on with in the ear ones anymore.
    I am looking for a pair that are not big and bulky that i can wear out and about as in traveling to work and also use at home. They will need to be closed cup but i am not sure if on the ear or over would be better.
    All my music is MP3 on a galaxy tab and my music is very varied from Depeche Mode, Muse, Eva Cassidy, Dire Straits and 80's etc.

I am by no ways a music connoisseur so my budget is about £100 although i could go a little bit more if needed but to be honest below £100 would be better.

Your help and knowledge will be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
    Andy

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

3. andy19_64

andy19_64 New Member

Thanks dalethorn, a couple of the ones i was looking at are the AKG K541 (£53ish) and the Beyerdynamic DTX501P (£69.95)

I know these are less than my budget but i have seen your review on the DTX501P and you seemed impressed by them and the K541's are getting very good reviews.

Would i be better looking at the ones you have suggested or slightly higher in price or should i include these in my to look at list as well.

Also in your opinion is over the ear better than on the ear.

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The two I listed below I picked from the store's list here, but the DTX501p I reviewed would be just as good. I'm not at all familiar with the K541, but if it has a number of reviews on Amazon U.S. and U.K., I would check those first. I suggest when checking Amazon reviews that you click "Latest First" because in most cases those are the more independent reviews, whereas the early reviews are often "house" reviews. Over-ear or on-ear doesn't seem like an important factor to me - that is to say, sound is first, comfort a close second, and isolation from noise could be equally important. You don't want to have excessive volume to cover up external noise, especially riding the tube where it can be very noisy.

5. andy19_64

andy19_64 New Member

Thanks dalethorn, i will spend the next couple of days having a good read up on these 4 headphones and i will come back and let you know what i have decided to buy

Many thanks for your time to respond
    Andy