Help with headphone purchase!

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by benjones977, Oct 30, 2012.

1. benjones977

benjones977 New Member

Hi guys,

I need a bit of advise as I'm a huge music fan but not quite an audiophile!

Basically, I'm looking to purchase my very first pair of over-ear headphones. Am looking to spend about £100-150 as I can't quite afford the upper echelons of the headphones market, but I also want a pair that can be plugged straight into an ipod or mp3 player without all this switching-jacks malarky. I've attempted to go down the 'best headphones' route as described on your website but a lot of those appear to be for studio use and not for general home use!

Was interested in the AKG K240 MKII Semi-Open Circumaural Studio Headphones but the input jack is still an issue for me. Do you think it would make a tremendous difference to my listening experience as, essentially, I won't ever be taking these headphones out of the house (I'll still be using in-ear 'phones for out-of-house use)?

So, in essence, my question is which pair of over-ear headphones would you recommend that cost between £100-150 and can they be used with a regular ipod or mp3 player?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben.

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

In this list, the best two I know of, which you can plug straight into an iPod with good results, are the German Maestro 8.35D and the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohms.

Closed Back Headphones

3. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

4. benjones977

benjones977 New Member

Hi Robin,

Many thanks for the reply. That seems like a great list, I'll have a look and see what appeals.

In terms of my own taste, I won't bore you with an exhaustive list but I tend to listen to a lot of rock/hard rock and metal, post-rock, hip-hop, electronica, some pop...the only genre I don't tend to listen to a great deal of is classical music, but that's just my own personal taste.

I tried some Dre Beats over the weekend (recommended by a friend) and whacked some Mastodon through it and the sound was absolutely awful, far too bottom heavy. Obviously, I understand that they're designed for club beats and hip-hop, but as my tastes are more rock based I would need a pair of cans which made that sound awesome!

Do you think that will make my search a little easier? Any further recommendations based on my tastes?

Seriously appreciate the time you've taken,

Ben

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I wouldn't suggest anything specific at this point that Robin hasn't covered, but based on your favorite genres, I would stay away from the headphones with lighter bass and/or stronger treble. The Beats are bad, not because they have "too much" bass, but because their bass is just pumped up in the higher registers which tends to suffocate the midrange, and the low bass is either missing or well down in volume. So for rock, metal et al you would definitely want one of the darker sounding headphones that has a moderate and balanced upper bass, with a good lower bass.

6. benjones977

benjones977 New Member

dalethorn, that's really awesome advice mate, thank you.

I do like a nice, crisp bass sound but the beats were just ridiculous. Now you've explained it to me that way, I understand why the mids and trebles sounded so suffocated! Definitely won't be parting my cash for a pair of those any time soon.

Am starting to slowly come to a decision based on advice from you both, thanks so much. Definitely made a good decision joining this forum!

Ben

7. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

No problem Ben!

If you have more questions feel free to post them here. :)