Help with on/over ear headphones <£100?

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by Artel, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Artel

Artel New Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Hi there! I really don't know much about headphones so I thought I'd get some advice from people who know what they're talking about. I'm after some decent quality headphones, either over-ear or on-ear, to use in a variety of situations- at home, on public transport etc. None of the music I would play would be any better quality than an MP3 file or equivalent, so I suppose there'll be a point where there's no point in getting higher quality headphones due to the quality of the music files?
    -My budget is about £100 and I can't really go much higher than that
    -Not too much noise leakage
    -Quite even distribution of sound; I'll be listening to all sorts
    -Volume/noise blocking really isn't an issue, I don't tend to listen to music loudly and I don't really mind hearing things over it
    -Preferably quite comfortable as I might be wearing them for a long time
    -Somewhat portable would be useful

I have tried out a few different types of headphone ranging from about £100-£300 in price and my unrefined ears really couldn't tell the difference; my friend has a pair of Audio Technica M50s and I really liked those. I've done a little bit of looking around and I thought the B&W P3 and Philips Fidelio M1 looked quite good, unfortunately I've had to reduce my budget somewhat since. I did like the look of the Urbanears Plattan, especially the built-in remote/microphone and the extra headphone socket, but I was concerned that their sound quality isn't actually so great.

Anyway, rambling finished- any thoughts/recommendations please? Thanks very much for your time!
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Charleston South Carolina
    Here is an excellent headphone that covers all bases and needs no tweakingto sound its best. But it's slightly bulky, and a smidgen over the 100 quid, but a very, very good investment for someone who likes music:

Sennheiser HD380 PRO Closed Back Headphones (HD 380 PRO)

Here's the complete list sorted by price, and below the price of the HD380 I see only a couple of items that I'm familiar with, but none of them compare very well to the HD380. BTW, you're not over-buying if you select the HD380 or an equivalent headphone, since it's pretty much (in my opinion anyway) a good starting point for hi-fi MP3 sound, and you'll appreciate it a lot more after listening for a few days.

Closed Back Headphones
  3. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm going to agree with dalethorn here, the HD380 are great at that price!

If you're after something more portable then I'd also have a look at the Beyerdynamic DTX501p :)