Help!

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by thehogester, Dec 26, 2011.

1. thehogester

thehogester New Member

I've spent hours browsing around, and its driving me mad lol!

I originally had my heart set on the soundmagic e10's, but ive got some money for xmas and now im looking at spending more.

Id actually like a full size pair of on ears for home use music/movies/gaming and an in ear pair (with mic) for commuting music/podcasts.

I've got £200 to spend on both, so id be interested as to what you'd suggest. As i say, searching around on my own is giving me a headache!

Thanks in advance!

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Very soon there will be an iPhone controler with Mic version of the E10 which I would still recommend. That should leave you around £150 for the full size headphone.

Have a look at these -

Denon AH-D1100 Closed Back Stereo Headphones (AHD1100)
    £99.95 - Warm and smooth sounding but not the most detailed headphone

Ultrasone HFI-580 Closed-Back Foldable Headphones (HFI 580)
    £119.95 - A little lighter on the bass but fantastic stereo imaging

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Closed Monitor Headphones Coiled Cable
    £134.95 - These would be perfect for this job and they even fold so you could take them on long flights or for travelling in general

Shure SRH840 Professional Closed-Back Headphones (SRH 840)
    £149.95 - These are very similar to the M50, a little larger but they also have replaceable cables and even tougher construction

GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D Monitor Closed Headphones
    £149.99 - These sound great and are really tough, hand made in Germany

If you pick a cheaper full sized headphone you could try these -

Audeo PFE 012 Perfect Bass Earphones in Black (PFE-012)
    £89.99

3. thehogester

thehogester New Member

Thanks for the response, i love the look of the M50s!

I noticed you only suggested closed headphones, does that mean that open back wouldn't be suitable for my needs? Im asking because i was looking at the SR60/80s as they seem to be highly rated.

Also to give a little more info on my in ear needs/wants. Id say 80-90% of the time ill just be listening to spoken word podcasts. In which case do you see any real benefit from spending more than the cost of the E10s?

Once again, thanks again for any response.

4. thehogester

thehogester New Member

Anyone? I'm itching to get some new headphones lol!

5. RobinHiFi

Open backs will not work at all for commuting - the leakage is way too loud and the other commuters will want to kill you!:D

Spoken word does not need hifi sound, just clear enough audio to feel that the human voice is represented well. Music is much more complexand much harder to render with fidelity that lets you hear everything. The E10s are excellent but will not reveal everything a piece of music in good quality audio has to offer. The decision to spend more should be related to your time spent listening to music as the biggest benefit is definitely there.

6. thehogester

thehogester New Member

The full sized will only be used at home. I think the E10s are the ones for me then!

7. fredjoy

fredjoy New Member

i have SONYmdr-rf800rk wireless headphones they work alright when used with the TV only, but when trying to listen to them when connected to adigital recorder through the TV they cut out after a few minuets. ihave tried two sets but they are the same. any ideas.

8. RobinHiFi

Could be that they have a limiter which can be tripped by an input signal which is too large. I'm not sure what the other device is but TV's outputs are quite quiet normally and any pro gear is normally very loud. Turn the other device down - wireless headphones have an amp so you will just be introducig more distortion if the source is loud.

If it isn't that I'm all out of ideas:)