Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Claire, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Claire

Claire New Member

Jun 11, 2011
    I am looking to buy some in-ear headphones for my teenage son, he has his heart set on the Monster cable beats by Dr Dre Tours; they look v. pricey and get mixed reviews-can anyone advise. Please help, I am happy to pay up to £60.
  2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi Claire

I am not a huge fan of the Monster brand but my answer here is I'm afraid based more on my knowledge of kids - I am pretty sure your son wants the Monster Beats because they are fashionable and his friends have them. To us sane adults we know that they are a bit gimmicky and there are better products on the market who have spent more effort on their product and less time on marketing - but youngsters have a desire to conform to trends and reject second hand knowledge no matter how brilliant the wisdom.

To make him happy get the Monster Beats - To help him learn a lesson about marketing and the true nature quality these will sound as good if not better

Pioneer SE-CL531-K Dynamic In-Ear Earphones Black (SECL531)

I am not suggesting he would be in any way thankful for the lesson though, youth is about learning from your own mistakes which is normally where all the fun comes from!:D

Good Luck!
  3. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Alternative to Monster Beats by Dr Dre Tour

Another headphone that is well worth considering is the new SoundMAGIC E10.

I just visited the factory in China and had chance to try these. They have an awesome bass response and in my opinion beat the Monster Beats Tour earphones in every respect.

We're expecting stock of the E10 in the next week or so...