Hi-Fi without Phono socket

Discussion in 'Headphone & Earphone General Discussion' started by phonolesspaddy, Jan 12, 2012.

1. phonolesspaddy

phonolesspaddy New Member

I was recently bought a new Hi-fi system but it does not have a headphone socket or any other audio out socket apart from those at the back for the speakers (the bare wire connection type) It is a Sony CMT MX550i. Is there any way I can connect headphones and disconnect the speakers at times? S othat I can listen without disturbing others?

I would be most grateful if somebody could give me a slution which will not damage either the amplifier or my headphones

2. RobinHiFi

RobinHiFi Super Moderator

Hi Phonolesspaddy

I am really sorry to hear this as I believe this cannot really be done safely. The speaker connection is powered (probably very powerful compared to a headphone output) and a mistake with the volume could really damage your headphones, or worse your ears! A small in-expensive MP3 Player is probably the best solution as you would have to disassemble the Sony unit and do some soldering to make a safe headphone connection.

Others may have some better ideas but it the meantime I would not attempt to connect headphones to the speaker connection:(.

3. phonolesspaddy

phonolesspaddy New Member

Thank you very much. I feared that was the case.