high frequency hearing loss

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by PeterHD, Jan 1, 2011.

1. PeterHD

PeterHD New Member

I've been wearing hearing aids to correct high frequency hearing loss for about 20 years and my current Siemens behind the ear models give excellent sound correction. But headphones have always been a no-no: uncomfortable with the hearing aids in (and the hearing aid mics are in the wrong place for headphones anyway); and not enough high frequency with the hearing aids out.

It seems to me that the answer would be an amplifying graphic equaliser between the source and the headphones. I could get the hearing aids' frequency response profile from my audiometrist and replicate it on the graphic equaliser. Problem solved! But are such things available? There must be a market for them given the number of people with hearing problems.

2. Shaun-HiFi

Shaun-HiFi Administrator Staff Member

High frequency hearing loss headphones

An EQ does indeed sound like a good solution to the problem, but like you I'm afraid I don't know of such a device.

I believe the right place to look would be the professional music industry. I think you would be looking for something like a Pre-Amp with EQ. Check out stores like Dolphin Music or DV247.

Sorry I'm not able to be more help. I'd be very interested to hear if you find a solution as I'm sure it would be useful to forum members and customers.

3. pjgregory

pjgregory New Member

I have just found this old thread on a search.

I have the same problem with high frequency hearing loss in my left ear. I took the difference between the audiometry plots for both ears to work out the difference, which is the gain in dB at each frequency that I would need to amplify the left ear signal to match that of the right ear.

I use the foobar2000 software player with the Graphic Equalizer plugin, running on a windows 8 laptop. Both the player and plugin are open source free downloads. At the moment I am still playing around with this as the equalizer only has +/- 12db or gain and I need more to properly correct the loss at frequencies above 2KHz. I have set the right ear output to be flat, with the left ear giving the best match to the gain difference.

The result is certainly much better than just running my old phones directly so I have taken the plunge and bought a much better set together with an outboard DACfor my PC

PJG

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Be sure to see a doctor-audiologist before doing much EQ, since those boosted frequencies won't seem louder than the others, but they can further accelerate damage to what's left. Audiologists can predict what kind of boosts are safe to do.

5. pjgregory

pjgregory New Member

Thanks - a good point.

Actually I already have an in-ear hearing aid for my left ear which does digital frequency correction and amplification. I have contacted my audiologist to get the gain / frequency curve that was programmed into the unit. I can use that as a basis for the headphone amplification.

PJG