High Isolation Closed Set

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by jfklown, Sep 4, 2013.

1. jfklown

jfklown New Member

Hello, first time poster, long time customer. I appreciate that you guys have the largest and best selection of headphones, and just wanted to say thank you.

Though I've already got a bunch of them, I now need some headphones for a high noise environment (actually a movie theater, to avoid hearing trailers; it's a long story). Obviously low bleed so a closed set. I have a decent set of in-ears, with the comply foam inserts, but they're just not strong enough. I was thinking more along the lines of either Remote Audio HN-7506, Ultraphones or even EX-29s, which I know you don't sell.

I saw the post on 'Shutting out noise', but I'm not a fan of noise canceling. Can you recommend something with a passive attenuation of at least 30db? The Sennheiser Momentums are well rated, but my old HD280s weren't so impressive at keeping out (or in) sound. I'm thinking something that's used for mixing sound in high noise environments, like for drummers or stage mixers. In any case, whatever thoughts you have, I would be grateful.

Scott

2. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

The Momentum is far, far from the kind of isolation you describe. Most high isolation headphones are very uncomfortable. 30 db or even close to it is something I haven't heard even in the Bose QC15 - the best of noise cancelers. So maybe you know of audiometric headphones that do this?

Funny - the Ultraphone I'm seeing now looks just like a Sennheiser audiometry set.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  3. jfklown

jfklown New Member

Well, I just posted something and then it erased it, which does not please me. In any case, these are basically ear protection with headphones inside them. They're what you would see people directing planes at the airport wearing. The Ultraphones have the Sony 7506 drivers as do the HN-7506 (hence the name), but they're not available in the UK. The EX-29s are, but they seem cheap, and I don't know what kind of drivers they have. I was posting here because hifi headphones is actually pretty near where I live, and was hoping they'd have something lying around. Noise canceling could work, but there's a lot of bleed, so maybe not a great idea.

I'm going to post the links, so all my internet research would not go to waste.

High Noise Headset | Remote Audio

hearing protection stereo headphones, video drum lessons, drum methods, at GK-Music.com

4. jfklown

jfklown New Member

This will be my third attempt to make a reply. Technology! In any case, these are basically ear protection with headphones inside them. They're what you would see people directing planes at the airport wearing. The Ultraphones have the Sony 7506 drivers as do the HN-7506 (hence the name), but they're not available in the UK. The EX-29s are, but they seem cheap, and I don't know what kind of drivers they have. I was posting here because hifi headphones is actually pretty near where I live, and was hoping they'd have something lying around. Noise canceling could work, but there's a lot of bleed, so maybe not a great idea.

I'm going to post the links, so all my internet research would not go to waste.

High Noise Headset | Remote Audio

hearing protection stereo headphones, video drum lessons, drum methods, at GK-Music.com

5. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi jfklown,

The software automatically moderates posts with links in, especially by new members.

They are good links though, thanks. People do ask sometimes about headphones with very high sound isolation.

The best headphones we do for this are the GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35D.

They sound great and have the highest amount of passive isolation out of all the full size headphones we do.

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I got the GMP 8.35D here last year and reviewed it in the user reviews section. It's an excellent headphone. Another possible alternative to audiometric headphones is to use the 8.35D with tuned earplugs like the v-moda VIP Faders. Those reduce sound evenly, so you just turn the volume up and since the 8.35D is very efficient, no problem.

7. jfklown

jfklown New Member

Thanks for the replies and sorry about the confusion over posting. I only buy about one headphone a year, so probably not going to be a regular. The GMP 8.35D looks interesting, but I can't find any attenuation figures on it. I was wonder what you thought about the Beyerdynamic DT770 M, which is rated at 35dBa. The only concern I have would be the impedance, which is much higher than the GMP, and might not be drivable by an iPod. I know it's probably not smart relying on numbers, but worth an ask. In any case, they both look good, and I'll be ordering one or the other on Monday.

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

I have the Beyer DT770 Limited 88th Anniversary edition as well as the Custom One Pro. Both isolate fairly well and are very comfortable, but the 35 db figure is ludicrous - more like 10-12 db. There is a possibility that you could get 30 db at some very high frequencies, but in the midrange you'd be lucky to get more than 10 db. Check out some isolation curves at Innerfidelity sometime - very entertaining.

Now speaking candidly, I like to listen very late at night, after midnight, because my apartment is in an urban area and doesn't have double-pane windows, i.e. the daytime noise levels indoors are about 20-30 higher than at night. What that means to me is with the typical closed-back headphone like the DT770's, listening in the daytime is OK, but I realize I'm not hearing the very fine upper harmonic detail I can hear at night, in spite of the isolation it offers. I can't predict how that would work out for anyone else like yourself, because everyone is different. But my personal and somewhat expert opinion having reviewed about 70 headphones is that I wouldn't try using anything except the better quality closed (and conventional) headphones like the ones we've talked about here, and I'd avoid the noise cancelers and extreme isolation (or audiometric) headphones. The best solution for quiet listening with these audiophile headphones is getting into a quiet room, or making a quiet room by investing a few dollars into some simple soundproofing - you can do some research and find some surprising solutions for cheap.

9. jfklown

jfklown New Member

Thanks everyone for your advise. I went with the German Maestros, largely for the low impedance. I'll be using my iPod, and was worried it wouldn't be strong enough to drive the DT770. I will let everyone know how it worked out. The DT770s sound very nice, but I'm lucky enough to live in the country, and so am using my Grados when I'm at home. If I wind up in London, then maybe the DT770s will do the trick. In any case, dalethorn, you should consider posting a review on the website (if you got your Beyers from hifi); right now there's nothing on there, and it was very helpful.

That's all for now, let you know how it goes soon.

10. dalethorn

dalethorn Active Member

Thanks - you should really like the German Maestro, which I got from Hifiheadphones UK. The review I did of the DT770 is here:

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/for...ted-edition-stereo-headphone-review-dale.html

and my review of the German Maestro is here:

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/for...-maestro-gmp-8-35d-headphone-review-dale.html

11. john-hifi

john-hifi Super Moderator Staff Member

It would be great to know what you think of the GermanMAESTROs, they are a great headphone.